Chapter Seven: Light Thru Me

“He’d never ask for her. A man wouldn’t ask for something that he’d already claimed.”

Kresley Cole If You Dare

                Avian stood there, waiting to drive the car. Her face produced a smug look that suggested she really didn’t care for waiting on people. It was raining outside and her curly brown hair was a tangle of ringlets. I had a sick feeling deep down in my stomach. I couldn’t read minds but I was pretty sure that Avian’s mind would be laced with profanities aimed at me. I was unsure if I could trust Avian, Malory, or Bibiane. If I was in their situation, I would have turned myself in to Jamanj already.

                “Come on guys.” Avian, the lanky brunette said. “It’s not like we have all day.”

                “But we just got here.” Whined Bibiane.

                “If I’m driving then they need to hurry up.”

                Gage threw two twenty dollar bills on the table and smiled at the waitress. We headed for the door and I turned to look at the payphone as if my father would magically call back and say he was in Chicago looking for me. I hadn’t seen my father in a while and it would take a miracle to get him back to Illinois.

                “I can’t believe it’s raining outside.” Avian complained.

                “The sky was clear when we got here.” I stated.

                The brunette skyscraper glared at me. “It seems like bad things happen when you come along.”

                I bit my tongue and tried not to say something back to Avian. Did she mean what I thought she did? Was she saying that Jamanj being a crazy person was my fault?

                We continued to walk to the parking lot. The car that waited for us was a shiny new white van. It looked like it held eight people comfortably and Avian climbed into the driver seat. Apparently she liked being in control of everything. The road was slippery and wet outside. It had just rained and lightening split the sky.

                I climbed in the back seat and tried to stay as far away from Avian as I could. After putting on my seatbelt, I ripped off the wig on my head. I was tired, sweaty and irritated. The only thing I wanted to do was try to get a bit of sleep in the car. But of course Avian wouldn’t allow that.

                “This is ridiculous.” The tall brunette complained as she turned on the car and struggled to stay on the road. A bolt of lightning seemed to strike the road in front of the car. “Charisse, think about it this way. If we turn her over to Jamanj now, he might not hurt us.”

                “Shut up!” Barked Charisse. “We are not handing my sister over to that psycho! We don’t know what he is going to do to her.”