Chapter 3

Chapter 3;

Kate p.o.v

The disaster that was last night was etched in my brain as I got ready for work the next morning.

I only worked at a clothes shop, but I was the manager so it was quite well payed. I really enjoyed it as well - I met new people all the time.

The first few hours went quite quickly as we were really busy, but towards lunchtime we slowed down a bit. Unfortunately, this gave me time to think about the various texts that Josh had sent me this morning.

He had asked for me to take him back and he'd even said that I wouldn't find anyone as good as him. Granted, it did still hurt that we were over but I knew it was for the best. I'd just managed to convince myself of this when I was out on the shop floor. I turned around to see Josh enter the shop, looking around for something.

I was frozen to the spot as he saw me and came jogging up to me. "Baby, please! Just let me talk ple-"

"No." I interrupted him. "To stalk me at home is one thing but to actually to come to my workplace and do it? Just leave, please."

He didn't take that as an awnser and actually tried to kiss me! I shoved him away, causing everyone to look. He started screaming at me but security soon got involved and dragged him - literally kicking and screaming - from the shop.

I ran upstairs and into my office, desperate to be on my own so I could calm down. "I-I'llbe taking my break now. Someone cover for me." I informed my colleagues as I grabbed my bag and coat from my desk.

Without saying another word, I ran out the back exit and just kept walking.

                                                       ...........................................

I ended up in the local park 10 minutes later and sat on a swing, the thought of lunch not even entering my head - I suddenly wasn't hungry.

Miraculously, I'd been sat there for a few minutes and still hadn't shed a tear. I'd text Ali and told her what had happened, but I remembered that she was at work so probably couldn't reply. Damn it! I shoved my phone back into my pocket and sighed.

"Kate? Shouldn't you be at work?" A familiar voice chuckled. I looked up and saw Eric standing there, leant against the frame of the swings. I couldn't even care that I thought he looked very cute today. He was wearing a mock dark blue football jacket, snug white tshirt and tight black jeans, topped off with amazing white trainers.

"It's my lunch." I looked down at the ground, suddenly feeling drained.

"Fair enough. Mind if I sit?" He gestured to the swing next to me. I shook my head and he moved to sit. He started to talk, but I couldn't pay attention, thoughts about earlier swirling around my head. It was a few minutes before Eric noticed my silence.

"Are you ok? You're really quiet." He chuckled lightly. As soon as he asked me this, I couldn't stop the sob that escaped my lips. "Kate! What is it?" He quickly got up and was now crouched in front of me, trying to get me to look at him.

With my hands covering my face, I shook my head. No, he should go now, I just need to be on my own. "I'm f-fine. Just leave me." I sniffed.

"Not likely. I don't leave anyone this upset." He stated simply as he gently pulled my hands away from my face, revealing my probably mascara stained cheeks and holding my hands in his on my lap.

If my parents got a whiff of this, they'd go mad. No, I won't risk it. As if seeming to read my mind, he carried on. "I don't care that we aren't supposed to be talking - please, let me help? You know you can trust me."

Well, I did need to talk to someone and it's not as if we were doing anything my I suppose. "Ok." I sniffed. "You might want to sit down, it's a long story."

I explained the whole thing to him after he sat back down on the swing - about when I'd broken up with Josh, about how he hadn't taken it well and what had happened today. I instantly felt better after telling him, and was actually able to relax a little bit.

"He seems like an idiot."

I shook my head. "He's just upset, I suppose." I had no idea why I was trying to justify his behaviour, but I know he'd be inevitably upset.

"You shouldn't have to deal with him. If he knows it's over, there's no excuse." I smiled weakly at Eric, having no response. "You must be hungry?" He asked as he smiled back at me.

I thought about it - I was, suddenly. "A little bit." I admitted. "I should probably go find somewhere to have lunch."

"Or I could cook you something at mine? I'm quite a good cook."

"I can't go back to yours!" I began to panic. "What if-"

"J's out. He's got meetings all day until late tonight. It's no trouble, really." He smiled again.

Screw it - it was only lunch. "Yeah?" He nodded. "Ok, yeah. Sounds good."

We slowly made our way back to his flat, and I wasn't able to stop smiling the whole way there. It was so nice to talk to a genuinely nice, interesting person for a while.