Chapter Fifteen: That Night

"So.."he says.

"So what?"

"So wasn't that fun?"

My eyebrows furrow in response to him. "What part are you referring to? The fact that you cried at the ending or..."

"Oh shh. You cried too."

I raise an eyebrow at him now. "Last I checked Sawyer I'm a girl, I'm allowed to cry during a chick flick. Besides Mr. All Star Football Player. You told me that you didn't cry during movies."

His light hazelnut brown eyes widen for a moment. He shakes his head, then runs a hand through his curly brown hair. "I lied."

"Mhm." I kind of figured that already.

He wraps his arm around my waist as we continue to walk to the car. The wind blows around us, making me shiver and pull into Sawyer more. Stupid thin sweater.

"Cold?"

"Not at all, I'm just trying to be cute you know,"I reply sarcastically.

He rolls his eyes at me, he stops walking. I pull away from him so he can take his jacket off. Once it's off of him, he drapes it over my shoulders and we continue walking again. His arms wrapping around me again.

The only sound is of our footsteps on the pavement, there's the occasional crunch as one of us steps on loose gravel. It's still a bit of walk, and I'm barely even able to see the car. Maybe it's because of how dark it is. Even with the periodic streetlamps on.

"You really had to park so far Sawyer,"I murmur.

"Seem like a good idea at the time,"he shrugs.

Before I can reply a car alarm goes off. We both stupidly looks around the area before we realize that the noise is coming from in front of us. When we look to see a shadowy figure moving around the car swiftly. Sawyer runs up to the car, I follow behind him. He stops a few feet away from it.

He puts his arm in front of me as he yells," Hey what are you doing to my car?"

The figure turns around. Judging by the build, he has to be a man. His face is completely covered except for his eyes, his dark brown eyes, his hood over his head. His eyes narrow at us and he pulls something of his pocket. He points a gun towards me.

"Let me go or I shoot her,"he tells him. His tone is hard, his voice rough. "Better yet, I'll shoot her anyway."

He's about to pull the trigger, but Sawyer tackles him down. The gun drops to the ground but still goes off. I feel a sudden pain in my torso. I let myself drop backwards as Sawyer hits the man in the jaw. After that, he gets off of him and rushes over to me. A bad move on his part. The man recovers himself and picks up the gun.

"Sawyer-"

"Spencer it's fine, you're going to be fine."

He points the gun at Sawyer.

"No. He has the gun. You need to move now," I blurt out. My voice breaks in the middle of 'now.'

"Wha-"

He's cut off by the sound of the gun going off. The bullet hits him, and the man runs. Sawyer doesn't move. His eyes squeeze shut, but only for a second. When he opens them again his eyes are unreadable, they seem focused on the man.

"I'll fucking find you!"he yells out.

When his eyes flick back to me, I can see the Sawyer I know. His kindness, along with a bit of fear.

"Sawyer,"I murmur. Even I can hear the fear in my voice.

"We'll be fine Spencer. We'll be fine."

He gets on his knees and pulls me into his arms. I pull my phone out as he does so. Why didn't I do it earlier? Cause I'm freaking stupid. I dial 911 as he rocks me back and forth. We're both bleeding out, yet it doesn't seem to matter. All that seems to matter to him is that I know that we'll be okay.

As usual, I believe him.

* *

"Are you allowed to be sitting up after surgery?"he asks.

"No,"I admit. "But I insisted. So now I'm here. How are you feeling?"

"Like crap, but a little better since your here."

"I can't believe you were out of surgery before I was."

"That makes two of us."

I shake my head. There's a knock on the door, then two doctors enter, one I recognize as the one who operated on me.

"Spencer, you can't strain yourself too much. It's time to go,"she tells me.

I nod. As the other doctor is about to say something, machines start going off. I turn back to Sawyer. Behind him, the sheets are staring to turn red. His eyes are squeezed shut in pain. The doctors waste not a moment. The man rushes over to Sawyer as the woman rushes over to me.

"It's time to go, Spencer,"she's about to pull the wheel chair away.

Sawyer calls,"Spencer, please stay."

"I'm sorry, but she can't." She pulls the chair back, but I get off of it.

"I'm here,"I reply.

"Sit with me please."

Without hesitation I walk over to him, wincing as I go. "You're gonna be fine,"I murmur when I'm on the bed. "They're going to figure out what's going on and fix you."

He shakes his head as the doctor moves him over on to his side after fiddling with the machines. "i don't think so."

I take his face in my hands. "Don't say that."

* * *

5:16 a.m November 27, Sawyer died. I'm sorry for your loss the doctor had said. He didn't know him, so how could he be sorry? They tried talking to me, but I wouldn't tell them anything. Why talk when he's gone? I saw him dying. I saw it, and he knew it.

We're not okay. I'm not okay.