Chapter Fourteen: Lying?

"Excuse me ma'am but you can'-" Dr. Wise shows her the paper cutting Ms. Briarwood off. "Oh. Ohh, okay. Come right in."

Dr. Wise walks in and walks over to the back of the class. A couple of boys whistle at her once they notice her. Dr. Wise is unfazed by it though. She sits at the assistant teacher's desk. Ms. Briarwood shakes her head, her newly waxed eyebrows unfurrowing.

Guess what day it is? It's presentation day. Everyone was supposed to create a fifteen slide PowerPoint about a famous person. Didn't matter who it was as long as Ms. Briarwood aproved of them.

"Okay who wants to go first?" Ms. Briarwood asks clasping her hands together. Nobody says anything. So in response she looks around the room, going to choose at random. Wonder who the poor soul will be.

"Spencer."

Oh, right. Me.

I open my mouth to say something, but Sofie raises her hand. "I volunteer,"she says. Her expression is solemn, yet I can see that gleam I know so well in her brown eyes. "I volunteer as tribute."

There are some snorts from the boys, and giggles from the girls.

"But Sofia-"

"My name is Sofie. Not Sofia. And as Annabeth and I have told you so many times, Spencer is not to present."

"You tell me but I have yet to receive a note from a doctor so therefore-"

She's cut off once again, this time by Dr. Wise. I'd feel bad for her if she weren't constantly picking on me in class and failing me at this moment. "Have you read her file Ms. Briarwood?"

"I have. Nowhere in the file does it say that she is not to present."

I can feel everyone's eyes move to Dr. Wise who has her eyebrows raised. She doesn't look up from the notes she's taking. "Page two, first sentence, second paragraph. Under no circumstances will Spencer Evans present in front of an audience."

Everyone turns back to Ms. BW. Her expression is one of uneasiness. Her blue eyes, though, remain unreadable. "Why's that?"

Eyes flick back to Dr. Wise. "For the reason that..."she trails off. Now she looks up from the paper, her dark brown eyes on me. "Spencer can I..?"

I shrug,"Go ahead, it's not much of a secret." Some gasp hearing the sound of my voice for the first time while others shrug.

"Because,"Dr.Wise continues. Now she has her eyes set on Ms. Briarwood. "She's been diagnosed with severe panic disorder, or anxiety disorder, whichever you want to call it. Along with post traumatic stress disorder, more commonly known as PTSD."

That leaves Ms. BW speechless for a moment. And then: "You have to be-"

"Lying? I can assure that I am not. You are new here, are you not?" She receives a nod in response. "So then you don't know about Sawyer Dawson?"

I can feel everyone's eyes on me, expecting me to tense or something of the sort. I don't though. My stomach twists a little, but that's the most that happens.

"Sawyer Dawson?"

Everyone gasps. A boy in the first row, I think his name is Derek, speaks:

"Ma'am, Sawyer Dawson was the captain of the East High football team."

"What do you mean was Derek?"

"He's dead,"I say. Awe, Spencer that's not a really nice way to say it. I look over to the empty seat next to me. He's smirking. I turn back. "Sawyer passed away November 27th, two years ago."

"Why does it matter Ms. Evans? More like, how does this affect you?"

"Because, I saw him die. And I was his girlfriend at the time. Do you know how traumatizing it is to see your boyfriend get shot?" I can feel Sawyer's arm on back.

She doesn't tell me anything. Everyone continues to watch me, waiting for my words.

"His blood was on my sweater for the reason that he was shot while checking on me. We both were shot actually." She opens her mouth to say something, probably to accuse me of lying. In response I stand up. "I'm not lying, I still have the scar."

"Proof?"

I pick up my shirt and vest. The boys don't dare whistle at me. The pink scar from the surgery lines the left side of my torso. Briarwood's mouth opens in surprise.

"The bullet went straight through his back, hitting his spine,"I say, letting go of my shirt. "Do you know how traumatizing it is to see your boyfriend get shot? What about seeing him die? This is not something that I like to speak about and it is certainly not something I can lie about either."

After that I walk straight of the classroom.

* *

"How was school?"mom asks as I walk in. Annabeth and Sofie come in behind me.

"Fine,"I reply.

She raises her eyebrows at me. I ignore it though, Annabeth shakes her head while Sofie sighs. I walk past her into the living room.

"We didn't present today,"Sofie tells her.

"Why?"

Annabeth replies with a grin,"Cause Spencer shut Briarwood up. She kept thinking Spencer and Dr. Wise were lying about her anxiety."

"What do you mean shut her up? Spencer Evans explain this right now."

I look at her from my spot on the couch. "I explained to her about Sawyer, nicely."

Sofie snorts, having Annabeth jab her elbow into her side.

"So where does that leave things now?"

"I was sent to the Principal's office because I walked out of class and Briarwood got in trouble because of what she was doing."

"The principal's office? Spencer Tay-"

"I'm sorry for cutting you off, but no I'm not in trouble. Principal Barry knows about the stuff in my file, and he understood the whole situation."

"Are you lying?"

"Did you recieve a call from the school?"

"No."

"There you go."

Mom shakes her head. Annabeth and Sofie come to sit on the couch next to me. They drop their bags in the corner of the room before doing that. When they do, they put my legs on their laps.

"Gosh damn,"Sofie murmurs. "Spencer I thought you were supposed to be the calm one."

"Am I?"

"Not anymore,"Annabeth says. "At least not after today."

"She thought I was lying,"I defend.

Mom comes in, a plate of cookies in her hands. The rare occasion when my mother uses her baking skills. Ironically it's the day I get in trouble, sort of.

"Would you like some girls?" She leans the plate over. They start to reach but stop when they see me not going for any.

"Spence?"

"Hm?"

"Do you not want any?"

"I'm in trouble, aren't I?"

At this all of their eyebrows furrow.

"No,"mom says. "You aren't."

At this I purse my lips. Though without hesitation, in case she changes her mind, I take some cookies from the plate. Annabeth and Sofie follow suit.

Mom kisses my forehead, then she whispers. "I love you baby."

I smile.