Chapter Six

CHAPTER SIX

We had been traveling a good five days. My thighs ached from straddling my horse, so did my back and palms. My skin felt clammy and itchy. We hadn't come across any ponds or rivers. I wondered how long we'd have to travel. Just the thought of travelling another day without bathing made me shudder in revulsion. I feared to raise my arms up. I had a feeling my armpits reeked of skunk and rotten eggs. The combination was enough to raise bile to my mouth.

Ranthel continued to torment Venerus with his food and Eron taught me how to fight. It wasn't just a way to fill in my days. I didn't want to feel vulnerable. We got close to one another with each passing day. I'd learned they liked bickering quite a lot and their most favorite thing to do was to aggravate Venerus who still remained stubbornly mysterious.

As our horses led us out of the Murin Forest we found a carriage on a dirt path. The horses that led the carriage were lying lazily on the earth. We heard agonised cries resonating from the carriage. My ears rang from the blood curdling screams.

I nudged my horse with the heel of my shoe and it sped to the motionless carriage. I jumped down then quickly made my way to the coach, pulling the door open. A pregnant woman lay heaving on the floor covered in sweat. Another woman murmured sweet encouraging words to her while wiping her sweat off with a cloth.

" What's wrong with her?" I asked. Her head whipped to the opened door her eyes winded in both fear and relief.

Ranthel and Eron helped carry the pregnant lady out of the coach. They carried the lady into the forest. It was when they laid the lady on the grass that I began to recognise her. The lady who had been with her kneeled beside her, her face contorted in worry and fear.

For the elmorans in the world we had to run into them. The elmorans of Azer. And worst of all they were not just commoners from Azer, they were of higher class. The pregnant lady was none other than Vixen. She was Chief Coyek's wife and the lady beside her was Messa, her caretaker.

Goodness, I wanted to hate them and do to them what they've done to my people. It took everything in me not to shout at them and attack them

" How far are you? " the urgency that laced my words couldn't be more frightening for the chief's wife.

She released an agonised cry that pierced into my soul. Her arms moved to her swollen belly. Tears of both joy and fear fell from her emerald eyes.

I fixed Messa with a fierce determined stare. The message was clear through my stare. We had to deliver the baby or the baby would die. Although the Elmorans of Azer had done a lot to my people I couldn't condemn an innocent to death based on the past.

I ordered the men to go away while Messa and I delivered the baby. It took hours before she gave birth and it had to be the most terrifying experience I've ever had the misfortune of witnessing but at the same time it was beautiful. The squeal of the baby boy as he took his first gulps of air. His cries tugged at my heartstrings. It was as though he was anguished by the loss of his mother's warmth. I carefully gave the baby to the caretaker who wrapped a thick cloak around his little body.

I began to heal Vixen who was dazed from giving birth. I released my power, feeling it caress her womanly parts, fixing the ripped folds of her lady part. And like a curse I felt all the pain. I bit my lip to prevent the cry that screamed to be freed from my lips. It was unlike any pain I've ever gone through. I felt violated.

When the  pain dissipated I let go of her so fast, feeling horrified by the phantom pain still lingering in my nether parts. I felt like crying out at the awful experience I was subjected to. Even when Vixen smiled at me gratefully I couldn't even force a smile.