English(public speaking)

Introduction

o Attention grabber

o Introduction to your topic/statement
o Brief explanation of topic (say what you are going to say)

Body

o Main points (one point per paragraph, about 3-5 main points per speech)

o Introduce each topic, use linking words like 'firstly, on the one hand, on the other hand, therefore, etc.'

o Use examples to explain your arguments

Conclusion

o Briefly summarize your speech (say what you have said)
o Refer back to your opening (full circle)

o Final statement ('and that's why I think....', it should be clear to the audience that it's the end)

Make a brief outline of your speech. You don't have to write the entire speech yet, but use the information above to structure your speech. Use short phrases/keywords

- Introduction

....................................................................................................... ......................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................

Body

o Main point 1....................................................................................... Explanation ............................................................................. Example..................................................................................

o Main point 2....................................................................................... Explanation ............................................................................. Example..................................................................................

o Main point 3....................................................................................... Explanation ............................................................................. Example..................................................................................

- Conclusion

o .......................................................................................................       .......................................................................................................                                                                                                   ....................................................................................................... 

Public speaking 2015-2016

"Intolerance"

Introduction

Many people now think that refugees shouldn't be allowed inside the Netherlands. But some of them are also starting to think this way about immigrants. My speech is about intolerance. Intolerance of refugees and immigrants to be exact. Because it angers me that people assume things about them.

Main body

Main point 1:

People feel threatened by the amount of refugees, and lots of them say that there are a lot of criminals mixed in the refugees. What makes me angry is that people just assume things about other people without even knowing them. For example Geert Wilders is one of the most well-known people in the Netherlands who do this. He automatically assumes all immigrants are evil people. In one of his most recent speeches, he asked the Dutch inhabitants what they wanted: More or less Moroccan people. This angered quite a lot of people, not only Moroccans or other immigrants, but Dutch people too. I think this is strange. If you came to the Netherlands, you are permitted to live and work here, and just do like everyone else does, shouldn't you be treated the same as the rest?

Main point 2:

People are also starting to think negatively about immigrants, even the ones who have lived here in The Netherlands for generations. For example my family. My mother's father came to the Netherlands in 1970 as an guest worker. There was nothing wrong in his country. There were no wars, but he came here to build a better life. Back then, Dutch people where happy that you came here. They were happy that you could start to work here, and as an immigrant you felt welcome. My grandmother came to the Netherlands with her children a few years after my grandfather came. She feels that The Netherlands back then and The Netherlands right now are really different. Now there are protests all over The Netherlands, almost all of them rejecting the refugees, lots of them telling the refugees to go back to where they came from. I think this is unacceptable. If you were forced to abandon your home, would you want to arrive in a country like this?

Main point 3:

The rejection of refugees, and the chance it shifts to immigrants as well is far closer than it looks, but very few people realise it. Right now, all focus is on the refugees. There has been a lot of uproar about it. But the refugees don't have a choice. They had to flee from a country in war, and had to leave everything behind to seek help, only to arrive in countries where they're immediately told to get out. I think this is unacceptable. I understand that people can feel threatened. And in some cases, this is understandable, but most of the time people are heavily overreacting. Big cities should easily be able to shelter at least some refugees. But in some small villages, they suddenly have to shelter more refugees than that there are villagers, and this should not be permitted. Even so, the amount of hostility aimed at the refugees are wrong. Right now, people are thinking that just refugees should get out, but in the future there may be a time they'll say: "All the immigrants should get out too!"

Conclusion:

Although people can feel threatened by the amount of refugees and immigrants coming and already being in the Netherlands, they shouldn't just assume things. The way refugees and immigrants were viewed in the past and now has changed quite a lot, as well as the acceptance of immigrants and refugees . People are no longer tolerant of them. And this is why i think something must be done to change this feeling of hostility towards immigrants and refugees.