F I V E

CHAPTER 5: IT'S BEGINNING TO LOOK A LOT LIKE CHRISTMAS

Rosemary Cooper's POV

[December 24th, 2009]

Spencer and I walk through the crowded shopping center in Fredericksburg, which was about a half hour drive from Quantico. There are hundreds - if not thousands - of people milling from store to store buying last-minute Christmas presents for their friends and family members.

We are having a Christmas Eve get-together at Rossi's house tonight, where we are going to exchange gifts amongst our friends. So far, Spencer and I have each purchased gifts for Aaron, Prentiss, Rossi, JJ, and Derek. We won't be able to give Aaron or JJ their presents until after the holidays because both of them will be spending time with their children instead of coming to Rossi's place.

Spencer and I are both struggling to find something for Penelope, desperately searching the mall to find something with her flair. I suddenly spot a store that has pink floors and walls and is filled with young girls. Spencer and I both make a beeline towards it, knowing that we will be able to find something perfectly, whimsically, Penelope.

Spencer looks so out of place in the bright store, towering over the tweens and even the rotating display shelves. I bite back a smile before looking around, finding a colorful hair clip and a pink stress-ball that looks like a pig. I laugh when I discover that its eyes pop out when you squeeze it.

I get in line at the checkout lane, purchasing the items with some of the money that I had saved up from work. Spencer gets in line after me, paying for the fluffy pink flamingo ink pen and matching notepad that I know will look perfect in Penelope's office.

We exit the store hand-in-hand, glad to have finally found the perfect place to shop for Penelope. With all of our shopping done, Spencer and I take a minute to just sit down and get some coffee from a small café on the opposite side of the mall from the Starbucks, which Spencer informs me is unfairly overpriced and usually filled with obnoxious teenage girls and people on their computers.

When we enter the smaller café, I am greeted by warm air, the aroma of coffee, and the sight of several people scattered about reading books while seated on plush chairs and couches. I smile, linking my fingers with Spencer's as we order our coffees.

We settle down in a corner, plopping down onto a cloth, plaid couch. I let out a contented sigh as I settle my bags onto the dark wood floor, tugging my feet up onto the cushions and leaning against Spencer for comfort. He tosses his arm over the back of the couch, holding his coffee in his free hand as he trails his fingertips up and down my upper arm.

With the gentle sound of music crackling in the background and the warmth coming from the space heaters placed about the room, I grow more and more content as I sip at my drink. Spencer, having removed the lid of his coffee, blows on it to hasten its cooling while I am in no hurry to finish mine, never wanting to leave this spot with him.