T W E N T Y - T W O

CHAPTER 22: DINNER AND TOO MUCH WINE FOR TWO, PLEASE

Rosemary Cooper's POV

[February 4, 2010]

"Rose?" I hear Spencer call out to me as his footsteps shuffle across the floor.

"In the kitchen!" I reply with a smile, turning back and putting the heat off so that the pasta wouldn't overcook.

His footsteps walk down the hallway a little bit quicker than normal and before I know it, his arms wrap around my hips from behind as I stir the pasta to evenly disperse the alfredo sauce. I spin around in his grip to face him, my hands running up his arms to comfortably rest on his shoulders.

"Hi." He says softly, making me laugh.

"I've missed you." I hum, twisting my lips to the side almost sadly as I find my gaze locked with his honey brown eyes.

"You saw me just this morning at the hospital." His eyes twinkle with amusement, but not as much as they used to.

If Morgan hadn't shot the man who did this to him, I would have hunted him down myself.

"You know what I meant." I say quietly, not wanting to raise my voice above a murmur in fear of it breaking.

"I know," Spencer blinks softly, his long eyelashes brushing against his lightly tanned cheekbones. "I missed you too, Sweetheart. More than you could ever know."

I trail my hand up to caress the side of his hair, running my thumb across his flushed cheek before leaning up to tenderly brush my lips against his. His hands fist the back of my shirt as he pulls me against his chest. Despite the strength of his actions, his lips do not imitate the roughness of his hands, tentatively dancing against my own.

I slightly pull away, at which Spencer's lips instinctively move closer, brushing against mine once more.

"Dinner's going to get cold." I giggle against his hot mouth, which has dropped into a slight pout.

"I don't care." He squeezes my hips with his large hands not enough to hurt, but enough to get my head swarming with inappropriate thoughts.

"T-the Doctor said for you to eat as many meals as possible." I blink, overwhelmed by Spencer's body pressed against my own.

He does not fail to notice my faltered speech, smirking cockily and knowing that he is the cause.

"Well, as a Doctor, I am giving myself a prescription of you and a bottle of wine," he slightly moves away, his long fingers tracing a line along my spine as he looks down his nose at me attractively, his tongue darting out to wet his pink lips. "How does that sound?"

I quirk a smile and nod. He presses a series of small kisses against my lips, nose, and cheeks, making me laugh at his sweet and silly affection. He smiles against my forehead, where he presses one last kiss before busying himself with finding two wine glasses. He places them carefully onto the countertop before opening a cupboard to reveal a wine rack with several bottles.

"I don't drink very often. Just special occasions, I suppose," he shrugs as he quickly scans over each bottle of wine before selecting one, deftly pulling it out and closing the cabinet before holding it up for me to see. "Vietti Barbera D'Asti Tre Vigne," he announces with what I assume to be a flawless Italian accent. "A two-hundred dollar taste with a twenty dollar price tag."

I smile and shake my head at his cuteness as I dish up the chicken alfredo, putting a hearty helping onto Spencer's plate to help him pack on the few pounds that he had lost. I look down at the now-prominent bones in my wrists and hands before adding a large amount to my own plate, knowing that I myself had lost weight while Spencer was gone; having been too worried to eat without getting an upset stomach.

We each drink two glasses of wine with our dinner. Feeling warm and more happy than usual, Spencer and I clean up the mess, laughing when the other fumbles with a plate or drops a fork.

After our plates are washed, dried, and safely back into the cupboard, we meander back to the table. Grabbing the bottle of wine with a shrug, Spencer pours us each one more glass, emptying the bottle. He lifts his glass, clinking it clumsily against my own in a semblance of a toast.

I laugh, an unattractive snort escaping my lips, which startles the both of us. We gaze at each other in wide-eyed silence until Spencer bursts into contagious giggles, his pink face scrunching as the tip of his tongue is pinched between his teeth. I break into a fit of violent laughter at the sound of his, having to place my glass back down onto the table to avoid spilling it on the floor.

"Stop." I whine, slurring the slightest bit.

"I love you so much," he sets his glass down a little too forcefully, a bit of wine sloshing onto the table. "Even if-" he laughs, cupping the sides of my face with warm hands.

He can't get the rest of his sentence out because he begins to chuckle again, his shoulders shaking as his eyes glisten happily down at me. They are a bit glassy from the wine, but still the most beautiful eyes that I have ever seen.

"Shh," I shush him sloppily, laughing at the sound of my own voice before remembering that he had told me that he loves me several moments ago. "I love you, too!" I cheer before realizing the the silence filling the house. "But.. the music's went away!"

"What?" He laughs with furrowed eyebrows, shadowing those beautiful eyes of his.

Reaching up with one hand, I smooth away the wrinkle that had formed on his forehead while grabbing my glass of wine with my free hand.

"The music is gone, Spencer," I say sternly in an inexplicably serious tone. "I think somebody stole it!"

Realizing that I meant the record that had been playing, Spencer laughs.

"Nobody stole it." He chuckles, grabbing his wine glass in his right hand and my free hand with his left, he tugging me into the living room.

To my relief, the record player is still exactly where it should be. Before I become too intoxicated to remember, I blow out the candle on the coffee table, making Spencer chuckle. He approaches the record player in the corner, taking a long drink from his wine glass before placing it carefully onto an end table.

I raise my own glass, taking a few gulps myself but not emptying it. I snicker as Spencer drunkenly fumbles with the record, flipping it to side two before lowering the needle. Gentle, crackling music fills the room, making me smile happily and close my eyes.