O N E

a/n: just because some people may not have read the first part of the previous update: this is the SEQUEL to another book. DO NOT READ THIS ONE FIRST.

CHAPTER 1: NEW BEGINNINGS

Rosemary Cooper's POV

[December 11th, 2009]

I walk through the door of the bookstore on the corner, shivering as I finally get out of the cold, December air. Spencer is a regular at this bookstore and quite good friends with the owner, so he was able to help me get a job working here.

Everyone on the team has been an extremely good friend to me ever since we got back to Virginia, but I am closer with Spencer than I am with anyone else. He's very special to me, and I to him. I turned 27 years old yesterday, and I went out to dinner with Spencer, Derek, Penelope, and Prentiss to celebrate.

I take my place behind the counter, pinning my name-tag onto my shirt and rubbing my hands together in a fruitless attempt to warm up. Throughout the day, several people approach me to purchase books, and I try to be as amiable as possible and make smalltalk with them throughout the transaction to help them feel less uncomfortable. I've noticed that many people feel awkward while making purchases, but I have no idea why.

It is about time to close when I hear the bells on the door chime for the umpteenth time since my shift started. I do not look up from my book as the person's loud footsteps plod across the thin carpet, approaching my desk.

"How can I help you this evening?" I ask, setting the book aside and jumping in surprise when I look up and see the familiar face. "Spencer! What're you doing here?"

"Just thought I'd drop by and see my favorite little librarian." He teases with a smile as I get up and hug him over the desk.

"I'm not a librarian," I huff, sitting back in my seat with a small pout. "You know I don't like the connotation that comes with that title."

Spencer's lips quirk into a small smile and his eyes gleam with amusement at my crossed-armed, pouted-lipped state. He takes a quick peek over his shoulder before reaching his arms over the small desk and grabbing the arms of my desk chair. He rolls me closer and kisses my scowl away, my lips smiling and my cheeks flushed by the time he pulls away. He looks proud of himself, leaning on my desk confidently rather than awkwardly as he would have when we first met.

"Come on," Spencer gestures, walking around my desk and helping me into my coat. "I want to pick up some dinner somewhere."

"Where?" I question, buttoning my grey peacoat.

"What sounds good?" He asks.

"Hmmm," I ponder, fixing my hair and looking around to assure that all customers had left the bookstore. "Chinese?"

"Perfect." Spencer smiles.

He grabs onto my hand and we walk out of the store, me locking it behind us and double checking to make sure it closed. I turn to see Spencer standing patiently and watching me. His already-messy hair is being blown about by the strong north wind and his cheeks and nose are turning pink from the cold. I run my thumb across his cheekbone and he leans into my touch, stooping down so that I can reach his lips when he feels me gently pull him down.

I playfully swat his butt and skip off laughing towards where his car is parked on the side of the street. His eyes widen and his lips form a chagrined smirk as he quickly unlocks the vehicle, opening my door for me before hopping into his own seat. We hum quietly to the radio even though we don't know any of the songs and our interlocked hands rest on my lap.

I'm not really sure what to call us, but we're together and that's all that matters to me.

I can't imagine anything better.