Chapter 18: A Haunting Letter

I just wanted to get away. I don't know where he is, and I don't know what he's seen. He could be anywhere, so I didn't want Alexandre to be alone. His house was so far away, and it would just be far too easy for Erik to sneak in and...

He wouldn't go after me, hopefully, and just maybe, if I was with Alexandre, he wouldn't hurt him.

We left the building and I looked around at the dark streets. No one seemed to be there, but looks can be deceiving. "Valentina," Alexandre said. "What on Earth is going on?" I had not gotten to tell him yet about the rose. I just made him run. "I think he's back." I whispered. His eyes widened and he was about to say something before I interrupted him. "Promise me you won't do anything stupid. Promise me!" His face darkened but then softened a little.

"I promise." I closed my eyes and let out a sigh of relief. "We have to go to your home. Now." His eyes widened again and, if I wasn't mistaken, his cheeks turned a little pink. "But... But... I-I don't think that's the most clever idea at the moment."

"People's lives could be at stake, Alexandre! Let's go!" He reluctantly let me get in the front of the buggy with him and then we rode off to his home that was so far away from safety.

We walked in his house and I curled up on the couch, trying to shake the thought out of my head. Alexandre quickly had a glowing fire filling the room with its warmth and he sat beside me. He was obviously a little shaken as well. "I don't believe I ever fully grasped the thought that he has killed people for nothing." I finally said, still staring at the always moving flames. "I always did."

"Is that one of the reasons you hate him so much?"

"One of them, yes."

"What's another?"

"I was terrified that he would snap and kill you." I broke the gaze from the flames and turned towards him. His eyebrows were knit together and he was still watching the fire, which danced in his eyes. "But he could have killed you too." He took one deep breath and closed his eyes. "I know." And we just sat there in silence, with only the fire distantly cracking and popping every now and then. "Goodnight, Valentina." He said, getting up to leave. "No!" I snatched his hand and he stared at it for a moment, and then at me. "Please stay." I begged.

"Alright." He sat back down besides me. "What are we going to do?" He asked. "If I knew, I don't think I would be this frightened by a rose."

"Is it horrible to say that I don't really care at the moment?" I looked at him, astonished. "Don't get me wrong! I am deeply concerned, but I'm strangely at peace right now." His words sunk in and I took a good look around me. The fire let out a soft glow that warmed my face and lit the room, Alexandre was breathing deeply and evenly right beside me, and, for some reason, our hands were still intertwined. "It is peaceful in here." I said, starting to relax a little. My heart rate slowed down and my breathing became slow. A sudden wave of tiredness ran over me and my eyelids grew too heavy. "Are you tired?" He asked. I nodded my head. "Would you like me to leave?" I shook my head. "Then how about we lay down?" I nodded my head again, and he laid on the couch. I laid beside him and my head fit perfectly on his shoulder. Alexandre smiled and brought our hands up and kissed the back of mine. I could hear his heat beating, and it slightly sped up when I moved ever so slightly. A little smile formed at the corner of my lips, and that's exactly how I fell asleep.

"He really loves you doesn't he?" Erik said. It was just us walking down the streets of France. It was the middle of the day, but no one was around. He had on no mask, cape, or sword, and Erik was calm, but sad. "Yes, he does." I said. "What happened, Valentina? Where did your love for me go?"

I turned on him and grew angry. "You ask me such a question? You left and practically told me to stop caring for you! I didn't hear from you for months, and then, when my life is finally happy, you just waltz back in and think that I should still love you?"