Not Such A Bad Guy

I get back to Jason's house the next day. My parents don't know what happened yesterday and they can never know. And it can't and won't happen again. I walk in and change into that stupid maid outfit. I was doing the dishes when his mom came in the room, my ring on her finger. I miss having that ring around my neck. I fight back the tears. At least with this job, I'm getting paid and they feed me. Jason and his dad walk in the kitchen. "Do maids prepare meals?" His dad asks his mom. Uh oh. I hope not! Because I don't know how to cook!! I've never made anything in my life!! Jason senses my fear and sees the look on my face and comes to my rescue. "Actually I think I'll make lunch for everyone." He says. Both his parents are surprised. "Alright. I'll see ya when it's ready." They both leave and I keep my hands in the hot water, staring into the sink. "I hope you were serious about that because I can't cook." He smiles, a hand on my shoulder. "Anyone can cook. You just need a good teacher." He opens the fridge and gets milk and eggs out. "What are you making?" "French toast." I dry my hands off and stand by the sink watching him. "I've never seen this before." I gasp, watching him. He turns the stove on. "Can I ask you something and it's okay if you don't want to answer." He says, keeping his stare on the pan. "What do ya want to ask?" "How long have you lived on the streets?" My eyes go wide. "Um.... I..... We've moved around my whole life. I don't remember the last time I stayed in one place long." "So..... You've always been homeless?" "Please don't call me that." "Sorry." I hear his dad yell, "Maid!" I go to the den where he was at. He apparently spilled his scotch. I bend down with a rag and clean it up and I feel a finger lift my skirt up. I shoot up and back away. I finish cleaning and get out. I just wanna go home. I find my clothes and change then take off down the road. I get back to the park, breathing heavily. I calm myself before I get to the tent. "Hey guys." "Hey sweety how was work?" Dad asks, hugging me. Tears fill my eyes and I curl up in my dad's lap and cry my eyes out. "Honey what's wrong?" "I don't wanna go back!" I gasp. "You don't have to. We'll figure something out." "No this is the only thing we've got. I have to go back."

*three days later*

I just finished dusting when Jason walks in the room. "Hey." My hands stiffen. I look away. "I uh I'm sorry about my dad. I heard what happened." I turn around. "Your dad's a perv." I gripe. "I know. I'm sorry. I should've warned you. I just wasn't thinking. I was too distracted." Huh? I finally look up at him. "Distracted? Distracted by what?" I ask. He smiles and walks over. "Distracted by you." Ugh. "No. That's not gonna happen again." His smile fades. "Why not?" "I've.... I've gotta focus on my job. I need this job. It's the only way me and my family will stay afloat." I whimper, my voice shaking. "Yeah you're right. I guess I don't know how hard you really have it. I mean I've never had to worry like you do." I nod nervously.

*later*

Jason wanted to walk me home so now we're walking down the street. "Man it's cold out tonight." He mumbles. I think so too but I stay quiet. He glances down another street. "Hey follow me." He says, holding my hand. "Why? Where are we going?" He smiles. "It's a surprise." We walk down the street and into a clothing store. "What are we doing here?" I ask. "You can't keep walking around in those tattered clothes. They've got more holes than swiss cheese!" My face burns with embarassment. "Pick anything. This is sort of an official I'm sorry for coming onto you the first time." I smile.

*later*

We get back to the tent. Me now wearing a long sleeved sweater and thick trousers. We were holding hands. Maybe it wouldn't be too bad being together. "Thanks for tonight." I say. He smiles. "No need to thank me. You deserve it." I get nervous again. Oh what the hell. I'm gonna do this. I get on my tip toes and kiss him on the lips. His eyes go wide and his hands settle on my hips. He stares at me wide eyed. I smile and wave. "See ya tomorrow, Georgia boy." "Heh heh, y-yeah, see ya tomorrow, sweetheart." I blush again when he called me sweetheart. But I don't think I minded it. I duck into the tent. Both my parents are asleep.

Jason's pov

She kissed me. Whoa! I stand there in shock for like five minutes. The wind tugging at me finally gets me moving. Why whenever I'm around her, my hands get sweaty, my throat gets dry, and I come out looking like I'm a complete moron. Am I in love with this girl? I was halfway home when I glanced back at the park. Yeah I think I am and I'm not afraid to say it. I run back to the park and whisper her name. I don't wanna wake her parents up. She pokes her head out, rubbing her eyes. "Jason? I thought you went home?" I grab her hand, pulling her out of the tent. "I did. But I have to tell you....." My voice trails off as I get nervous again. "Tell me what?" She asks. I hold both her hands and swallow the lump in my throat. "What's wrong?" I smile, figuring out how to tell her this. "Nothing's wrong. In fact nothin' has ever been more right for me." The wind is throwing her hair all around her face, making her look even younger and even more pretty. "Um..... I think I'm in love with you!" I gasp, kissing her. My hands are shaking as they move to her perfectly curved waist. Her hands move to my neck. I think she feels the same way. We lock eyes, hers are wide and shocked looking. A deep blue green. I'm intrigued when I notice she has a birthmark in her eye. "I love you too." She whispers, making me so glad. I kiss her again.