The Wife Of A Warman

Miranda's pov

Mama gave birth to my brother. We named him Jack. I wish Jason was here to see this. I'm gonna write him a letter. Maybe this time he'll write back. I start to write it when mom asks what I'm doing. I tell her and she sets Jack in the crib. "Sweety I didn't tell you because I knew you'd be heartbroken." Huh?! My chest siezes. "Please don't tell me he sent a break up letter!" I gasp in tears. She shakes her head and pulls out a letter that looks several months old. I take it from her.

Dear my beloved,
I just got the news I'm going to be deployed. You may never hear from me again. I'm sorry. I don't think I can keep my promise of finding you again. I'm sorry. I'm so sorry. I love you so much and I always will. Please don't hold on. I don't want you waiting for the rest of your life for someone who will probably never make it back.
Lots of love, Jason.

The letter falls from my hands in horrified shock. I hit my knees and cried and said a prayer. I want him to return home safely. Mama hugs me tight. "I'm so sorry baby." She says. All this time I thought he forgot about me. But he didn't.

Jason's pov

A few enemy soldiers ambushed our convoy and we chased the assholes into low riding ditches. "This is for dad, you shitheads." We took aim and killed all of those son of a bitches. Luke pats my shoulder. "How ya holdin' up?" "I'm holdin'." Dad wouldn't want me to give up. We make it back to camp. I collapse onto a bunk exhausted and miserable. My dad got shot down right in front of me. "Mail call." Someone calls. I close my eyes, not really caring. She's moved on by now. At least, I hope she has I don't want her depressed over me. But I'm shocked when I hear my name called. I sit up quickly hitting my head on the bunk above me. He hands me a letter. Virginia. Tears fill my eyes. I rip it open.

Dear Jason,
I just got your letter telling me you're fighting. You're very brave to do that. Stay safe my cowboy and I love the song you sent me. And I will wait. No one will make me happy like you did. You were my first and you will be my last.
Love your damsel in distress.

I wipe the tears from my eyes and clean the dirt and grime off my face. A man here has a camera which is a rarity. "Hey Luke." I call. He walks over. I call to the man with the camera. "I'd like to send a picture to my girlfriend so she knows I'm okay. If you don't mind." He smiles. "Say war buddies." I smile and me and Luke put our hands on each other's shoulders. He snaps the picture and I write a letter and send it to her.