Dark Times For A Little Girl

Jason's pov

I stare out the window as my parents talk to a few people. My family was lucky enough not to be hit by the depression. Like everyone around us. I get my guitar like I usually do and walk down the street. I play music for the people who don't have it as good as me.

Miranda's pov

Mom and daddy are stressed. My fingers nervously clasp around the ageless most prized possession. My great great grandma's ring. I wear it on a string around my neck. We were homeless. This depression having ripped every penny from us. Dad hasn't been able to find a solid job and I'm close to tears. "Daddy, I'm so hungry." I whimper, sitting in his lap. "And cold." It's winter and our current home is a park bench. He holds me tight and rubs my arms. Mama sneezes. I look over at her worried. She lays a head tiredly on dad's arm. Just like the week before, the boy comes to the park and plays guitar. I watch him inquisitively. He does the same thing every Saturday. But he's fully clothed unlike us. So he's got a home. What's he doing here?

Jason's pov

It isn't a big crowd here this time. Just a small family of three on a park bench. It's just so hard to watch. I sigh and lower the guitar. Why did the stupid stock markets have to crash? Pretty much everyone is suffering and barely getting by. I was staring at the sky lost in thought when footsteps on the frozen ground pulled my eyes back down. The girl from the family. She looks maybe fifteen but I can see her ribs and the clothes are in tatters. She's probably freezing her butt off. A string with a ring dangles loosely around her neck. Hm. I pat the bench beside me. "You're really good at that." She says. "One of my favorite things in the world." I say. I stare at the makeshift necklace. That string isn't gonna last too much longer and she's way too thin for it to fit on her finger. I pull out a chain off my grandpa's watch. I unclasp it and sit up. "Here." I say. "Huh? What's this for?" "For your necklace." I say. She looks down at it and takes it off. The string is worn and very frail. I get my pocket knife out and cut the string easily then I slip the ring onto the chain and clasp it around her neck. "Thanks." She says with a smile. I smile too. "No problem." We were talking when I saw my dad walking down the street toward the park. Uh oh. He hates that I do this. I stand up quickly. "I have to go. See ya around." I say, waving. She waves too then walks back to her parents. I quickly walk to my dad. "What are you doing?" "Nothin'." I mumble. We walk back home and mom is drinking wine. "Dinner's in the oven." She says. Hm. I wanna help that poor little girl. She's starving. I sit down on the couch. "Hey dad when do ya think the economy will get better?" He stands by the door, hands in his pockets. "Who cares? It doesn't effect us either way." I glare at the floor. Mom and dad go to the kitchen to eat but I'm too nauseous thinking about all those folks starving on the streets. I know what dad would say if I mentioned it to him. I should stop worrying about people I don't know. But I guess that's just the cowboy in me.