Day 26

Day 26

Today was a slow day at the coffee shop. Aspyn stood at the counter and mentally counted down the hours until she could leave. About two minutes before her shift ended, Margret stumbled in the door. 

"Oh, Aspyn! Have you seen Parker?" Margret's eyes scanned the patrons sat around the room.

"No not today, Mrs. Stevenson. Why? What's wrong?" Aspyn asked calmly.

"Well, he left last night and I haven't seen him since. As you can tell, I'm a bit worried." Margret's laugh was airy and diffident. 

"I'm about to leave anyway, maybe I could try to find him?" Aspyn offered brightly. 

"Oh, thank you dear." Margret sighed in relief.

***

He was no where to be found. She checked every place that he normally went, but he wasn't anywhere. Just as Aspyn was losing hope, she remembered Parker telling her that when he was a kid, he loved going to this one park near Mrs. Stevenson's house. It was a long shot, but she decided to check there anyway. 

Hope restored, she practically ran the whole way. Once she rounded the corner, the park came into view. Her eyes frantically swept across the colorful slides and swings. Her eyes landed on a figure sitting on one of the swings smoking. Had to be Parker. 

She slowly approached the swing next to his and sat down. 

"You know, you shouldn't smoke at a children's park." Aspyn said matter-of-factly. 

"You know, you shouldn't tell me what I can and cannot fucking do." Parker said mimicking her tone.

Aspyn was silent for a moment as she kicked the ground softly.

"I bet I can go higher than you." Aspyn teased as she started swinging back and forth. 

Parker rolled his eyes and started swinging as well. "Not a chance."

Parker easily surpassed Aspyn and stuck his tongue out at her childishly. 

She smiled at him, glad he was actually doing something other than sulking and smoking. He tentatively smiled back. She had never seen him genuniely smile. The sight had taken her aback. His smile was bright and warm. Much different than his usual cold, dark atmosphere. 

"I bet I can jump farther." Parker goaded as he threw his cigarette on the ground. 

"I bet you can't." She retorted. 

Parker swung back with as much force as he could and then shot himself forward, gracefully landing on his feet a few feet ahead. 

"Beat that." He bragged. 

"Watch me." 

Aspyn tried to swing herself as far back as she could and as she was swinging forward, her swing suddenly jerked and she lost balance, falling to the ground.

"I guess I won." Parker boasted as he stood over her. 

"Thanks for the help, Park." Aspyn grumbled as she got off the ground. 

"Anytime, cupcake." He said with false cheeriness. 

Aspyn got back on the swing and spoke quietly. "Don't do this to Mrs. Stevenson. She's such a nice lady and you're killing her."

Parker winced and looked away. "I'm not doing anything to her. It's not like I asked to come here." 

"Doesn't matter, you're here anyway. The least you could do is spend some time with her. She's so lonely, Parker." Aspyn pleaded.