Day 10

Day 10

"Good morning, Mrs. Stevenson!" Aspyn chirped as Margret walked up to the cash register. 

"Oh, what a good morning it is." Margret sighed happily. 

"Where's Parker today?" Not that I care, Aspyn thought. Deep down she knew that was a lie.

"Oh, I sent him to the grocery store to get me a few things."

"Oh, that's nice," Aspyn deflated. She had grown to like Mrs. Stevenson's grandson. He never said much, but Aspyn knew that behind his cold facade he was just someone looking for acceptance. "Hot chocolate today, Mrs. Stevenson?"

She thought for a moment as she idly touched her thinning, gray hair.  "I'll have a coffee today, I suppose. Black, no sugar." 

Aspyn chuckled softly as she hurried to pour a cup of coffee. "Trying something new today? I like it." 

"I need a little change in my life, I suppose. Parker tells me that I may need his help more than he needs mine." Margret sighed a little, looking extremely exhausted. 

Aspyn had already learned why Parker was visiting Mrs. Stevenson. Margret and Parker had come in and ordered hot chocolates and sat by the window. Close enough that Aspyn could hear their conversation. She hadn't meant to eavesdrop, but she couldn't help herself. 

"Hello, Mrs. Stevenson!" Aspyn greeted her like she did everyday. 

"Oh, hello Aspyn." Margret smiled sweetly as she approached the cash register. 

Parker suddenly threw open the door; letting a gust of cold air spiral through the cozy coffee shop. Customers grimaced, but continued sipping on their coffee and keeping up small conversations. 

Parker marched straight toward his grandma and nodded at Aspyn as if to say hello. 

"Parker, why don't we both get a hot chocolate and sit by the window. It'll be nice." 

He sighed and nodded quickly. 

"Why don't you go sit down and I'll order for us, dear." Margret shooed him away and turned back to face Aspyn. 

"I believe you heard our order." 

"Yes, coming right up, Mrs. Stevenson." Margret had told her to stop calling her Mrs. Stevenson, but secretly she enjoyed it. She enjoyed still being a part of Mr. Stevenson. Oh, how she missed him. 

Soon enough, Parker and Margret were seated and silently sipping on their drinks. Margret longed for a relationship with her grandson, but he made it impossible for any conversation other than the necessary ones. He pushed everyone away and Margret had no idea why. 

"Parker.." Margret started. 

"Save it, Grandma. I know what you're going to say and I'd rather not speak about it now." Parker said, his voice void of any emotion. 

Margret started to sip on her drink again when she suddenly had enough of Parker's attitude. "Parker." She snapped. 

Parker gazed up at his grandma's old, wise eyes. He made sure his face was blank, not giving off any feelings whatsoever. 

"Yes, Grandma?" 

"If you're going to get better then you need to talk about it. To let it all off of your chest. I didn't agree for you to come here just to shut me down every time I try to speak to you, dear. I just want the best for you." Margret sighed as finished her mini speech. She knew that it didn't faze Parker in the slightest. He still had the blank look on his face as he looked at Margret. 

"I didn't come here to speak to you. I came here against my will, Grandma. Sorry if I'm not exactly what you wanted, but frankly I don't give a shit." His voice flat, bored. 

That fired Margret up. "You will not speak to me that way! Learn some respect, boy. As long as you're here, you might as well try to improve your behavior." 

Parker blinked in response and then calmly got up from his seat and walked out of the coffee shop. 

Margret shook her head and let one single tear escape down her wrinkled cheek. 

Aspyn shook her head as she remembered that day. Seeing Mrs. Stevenson cry broke her heart. In Aspyn's eighteen years on this planet, she had never once seen an old woman cry. And she never wanted to see it again. 

Suddenly, Parker sauntered through the door with a cigarette hanging from his mouth. 

"What don't you get about the 'No Smoking' sign?" Aspyn huffed in annoyance. 

Parker didn't reply, he just stared at Aspyn in an unnerving way. 

Aspyn glowered at him, but he wouldn't look away. 

Finally, Margret spoke up. "Take that cigarette out of your mouth." 

He made no move to put it out. He simply walked back outside and continued smoking. 

Margret, looking extremely distraught, grabbed her cup of coffee and trudged out of the shop. 

Poor Mrs. Stevenson. Having to deal with his cold attitude, sarcastic remarks, and defiant behavior. He needs a miracle. Aspyn thought while she prepared an order for another customer. 

Another chapter, yay.  Btw, video at the side is a song that I thought someone might enjoy.