Monsoon Prologue

It all started last summer. I had my friends, my family, and the perfect boyfriend. Everything was exactly the way I wanted it to be, maybe even better. That was until I met him.

"Run", I told myself, "Run faster". No matter how fast I went I couldn't escape. It was pitch black, all around me. The street an empty landscape. Only the road in front of me was a barely visible line of cement. This did not feel like a dream, it was my own personal nightmare brought to life, where I was the prey and it the predator. I glanced back and that's when I saw it. The beast's eyes, blood red. Watching me. Stalking me. Chasing me.

This thing, this creature. I couldn't see it that well but I didnt' have to see it to be scared for my life. It gave me goose bumps all over my body. It had a distraught look in its eyes. I tried to scream but not even a whimper escaped my throat.

What was this thing? Why did I feel like I was slowing down? Was I dreaming? Impossible. In dreams you dont feel. You don't feel the burn in your lungs. You don't feel your legs collapsing under you from the numbness. But what you do feel is fear. And fear was only the simple explaination to what I am feeling right now, It was the kind of fear you got when you're standing over a bridge looking down at the menacing water below. The kind of fear you got right before you died.

It jumped and landed on my back. I tried to scream again as it lunged for my face.