Monsoon Chapter 16

Chapter 16

There was no point in me being here. This was it. I lost him. I lost Chase. I lost everything. I felt the last drops of blood run down the side of my neck. I closed my eyes as one last memory flooded my mind. It was the first day I met Chase. It was fifth grade. Jaime and I had dressed up on the first day. Overly excited we almost ran to school that day. We knew everyone from the year before so we all greeted each other with smiles, hugs, and laughs. I had no idea that love would come into my life that early, but hey true love comes at any moment, you just have to be ready.

You see I didn't really notice him until twenty minutes into class. I just saw the back of his head, I was pretty sure I didn't know him, then he turned and it was as if we were the only two in the classroom. He looked at me and stared back. We were in a gaze; Jaime pushed me lightly as she noticed our staring.

"That's Chase, he's new and he's gorgeous", she said, but I wasn't really paying attention to her, I was too busy looking into his beautiful eyes. The bell rang and I quickly realized we had spent the entire period gazing at each other. I stood up and he was in front of me in an instant. I flinched, wow that was quick. Jaime looked at us and smiled as she walked away. He looked at me and smiled. I thought my heart was going to stop.

"Chase", he said holding out his hand. I shook it and we both held onto each others hands. I dropped it and blushed when I realized he was waiting for my name.

"Liza", I replied. How embarrassing.

"Can I walk you to class?" He asked still smiling. I couldn't even respond. I just nodded. So he walked me to class even though he had no idea where he was going, and the whole day we talked, passed notes and just laughed for no reason. By the end of the day it felt like we had known each other for years, he walked me home and it felt weird leaving him. I'm pretty sure he felt the same way too. We lingered around my front lawn for a bit, and then I walked up to my front door. He followed. I turned to him, not really wanting to part, even though it was only until tomorrow.

"I guess I'll see you tomorrow then", I said looking down.

"Yeah, I guess", he replied looking at me. I didn't really like it when people stared at me for more than ten seconds. And Chase had just lowered that to five. Just the fact that I wasn't looking back was my major problem.

I looked at him finally and he was closer than before. I gasped. His face even more perfect this close. I stopped breathing, he leaned in slowly. He hesitated, and then he gently pressed his lips against mine. Everything froze. It was only for a second, but it felt as if there was an electric pull between us. I looked at him and he at me. Then we both smiled. He turned and I opened the door. We looked at each other as he started to walk towards his house. I went inside and closed the door. I slid to the floor in pure joy. Wow. What a day.

The rest of my years with Chase were the same. No one else bothered us. We were always in our own little world. Every time that day came, the day we met, he would always leave me a single flower on my pillow, but not just any flower, a sunflower, which were my favorite. He put one there every year and he never forgot it, all those memories of joy with him, and when he finally asked me to be his girlfriend, I don't even know why he bothered to, we were basically already together, but no matter, I accepted as if he had asked me to marry him. That's what I thought. I would marry Chase, not get killed next to him, but memories suddenly became flashes of life, mostly with Chase and the more recent ones with Max. I loved Chase a lot more than I did Max. I knew that for a fact now. But it was too late. Blackness surrounded me now; of course I wasn't going to heaven. I fell in love with a demon and traded my soul only to be killed by my one true love.