Chapter 3-Demons

A really epic trailer made by Jiluera!!! OMG!!! You should totally check out her stuff, its really amazing!! ---------->

********

Chapter 3

"Morning," Cole mumbled as I entered the kitchen the following morning. He sat at the small wooden table in the corner by the window overlooking the street. White cabinets with black worktops lined the remaining walls.

 The smell of coffee was strong; Cole had been busy. I inhaled deeply. Coffee was sometimes the only thing that got me up in the morning. That, and Cole. Whenever I tried to stay in bed, he would just hit me with pillows and annoy me into action. I inwardly smiled. Silly bastard. 

 "Morning," I replied, pouring myself a cup. I sat down beside him, and we drank in companionable silence for a few minutes, yestedays tensions forgotten. It was always that way with us. A good night's sleep, and all of yesterdays ill-doings became a forgotten memory. 

 "We've got another one to take down tonight," he said suddenly, staring at me intently over his favourite mug. There was a grumpy looking blue cat with a speech bubble saying "Just give me the coffee and no one gets hurt." I groaned and let my head fall back, yelping when it bashed into the wall. Cole chuckled and I glared at him. 

 Cole, ever the pacifist, raised his hands in mock surrender, composing his features so that they were devoid of all emotion. I inwardly snorted. Cole, a pacifist. 

 We had been going after so many of them recently. The one we'd taken down yesterday was bad enough, but then Cole had made me take a day off from my job at the petrol pump to go after one together. He was getting obsessed. I mean, he might not have anything better to do, but I certainly did! 

 "I still don't understand why you don't enjoy it," Cole commented, bringing up the old argument between us and effectively changing the subject. Cole revelled in our "gifts", whereas I absolutely hated them. More than anything else, I craved being normal; Cole didn't seem to mind being a little...strange. Another inward snort. A little. 

 I leaned back in my chair, holding the warm mug in both hands, careful of my now pounding head. I had taken worse hits, and I knew that it was fine. Still, there would be a bump. Stupid wall. I hated it when it walked into my head...

 "I'm sorry, i just can't seem to find kicking demon ass every day a 'gift'," I said sarcastically, rolling my eyes. "It just doesn't do it for me, what can I say?" Cole leaned forward, his eyes growing excited. 

"So you don't get a thrill from it at all?" he asked. There was a certain fire in his eyes that I had only seen after he'd killed a demon. I suppressed a small shiver at how wild it made him look. 

 I watched him for a few moments, thinking it through. Ok, yes, I did get a tiny thrill when I killed a demon. I mean, who wouldn't? You were ridding the world of evil for Christ's sake! Plus, it gave you a sense of power. I shuddered from the memory of that power coursing through my veins, so thick, so strong, it nearly consumed me. That glorious feeling could become addictive if I weren't careful. 

 "No, I don't get a thrill from it," I said firmly, watching as the light faded from Cole's eyes. "I mean, it's a job. It's not...something...that I enjoy. It's just..sort of...there." I couldn't put into words my conflicted thoughts on demon hunting, espcially while looking into Cole's rather distracting eyes. 

 He had the most fascinating eyes. They were a dark black around the edge, gradually changing to a shade of gloomy grey the nearer it got to the centre. The grey reminded me of the clouds just before a storm, dark and dangerous. I shook my head. A girl could get lost in those eyes. I would feel sorry for that girl.

 "Come on," he taunted. "Killing demons is fun!" He grinned at me, reminding me of a wolf. 

I laughed. "You're sadistic, you know that?"

He pouted. "You're just annoyed at me because I know how to have a good time."

"Killing demons is not a good time!" I exclaimed, exasperated.

"Raven, lie to yourself, but don't lie to me," Cole said, a twinkle in his eye. He knew how frustrated I was getting.

"I'm not lying!" I cried, throwing my hands up in annoyance, and almost knocking over my mug. I shot Cole a dirty look, since obviously, it was all his fault that my mug had almost committed suicide.

 I got up from the table and dumped my now empty mug in the sink. 

"Where are you off to?" Cole asked as I made my way to the door.

"My room. To, I don't  know, sleep?" I retorted, rolling my eyes at him. Duh!

Cole frowned. "Why would you do that? You only just got up!"

"Gee, I don't know. Maybe because after yesterday, I feel like I've earned it. Any normal person would want to sleep after what went down yesterday!"

Cole laughed. "You? Normal?" He paused to snort rather hysterically, holding his side. "You are far from normal Raven." His last words were still serious, even though his expression was playful.

A scowl took control of my face. "Don't remind me," I muttered, shaking my head and leaving the room. Cole's booming laughter followed me all the way back to my room.

"Moron!" I said loudly, shaking my head. 

"I heard that!" Cole yelled, indignant.  

I laughed. "You were supposed to!"