Chapter Fifteen: If I Lost Everybody...

Kai's POV

My eyes fluttered open and I felt warm rays of sunlight shine down on my face. I drowsily sat up and yawned, stretching my arms. I smacked my lips, tasting the disgusting taste that you usually taste after you fall asleep. I looked around the area around me.

It was a field full of flowers and butterflies, with bright green grass. A clear blue sky was above me and the sun shined down with a warmth that seemed... Unusual. For some reason this place felt unfamiliar, as if I wasn't supposed to be here. But it also felt like home... As if I did belong here.

"Kai? Is that you?" A soft, sweet voice asked.

I recognized it almost instantly. It was the voice of my Mother. I slowly turned around and looked at the tall, slender woman before me. Her hazel brown hair with blonde highlights was in a messy bun, bouncing on her head. Her fair skin seemed to be tanner than I remembered and she had scars that never were there when I last saw her...

6 years ago... She should be dead now!

"Mom? Is that really you?" I ask in a surprised tone.

"Why of course it is! Do you not recognize me?" My Mother asked in a questioning tone.

"Now that I think about it... No, no I do not. The Mother I remember had fair skin and never had that many scars..." I said, putting my hand under my chin in thought.

My Mother stared at me and their was a sudden spark of recognition in her eyes. She smiled at me softly, before kneeling down and placing a hand on my head.

"I'm not your Mother sweetheart... Your Mother is dead." My 'Mother' said softly.

"I know that! But... You sound just like her. And your hair... It's just like hers!" I exclaim, feeling a little frustrated now.

"I know I do... I'm one of your Ancestors. I am the one who helped create the Jairo Clan. My name is Rio Jairo, the first Jairo along with my Husband, Hanate." The woman explained.

I stared at her with wide-eyes. I never met my Grandmother, my Grandfather, nor my Father. But to meet my very first ancestor... I don't know what's better.

"Kai... You are not supposed to be here." Rio says, looking me in the eyes with a serious expression.

"That makes me wonder... Where am I and how did I get here? I thought I was with Daisuke when I passed out..." I murmured in thought.

"You still are... But you are not really there." Rio explains.

"Say what?" I ask in confusion.

She sighs. "Your body is still there as well as your life-force, but your soul is here, in the Chūkan. We need to get your soul back to the Sentā. Or else you will be found by the Shinigami and they will take your soul and you really will be dead." Rio explains.

"Oh... I see..." I murmur, still confused.

Rio face-palms. "You still don't get it do you? Well come with me, we need to get way from this place. It already reeks with the rotting smell of Shinigami." She says.

She grabs my arm and begins to run, my legs struggling to keep with her long ones. She finally stops running and picks me, putting me on her shoulders as if I weighed nothing. We began to run again and I thought back to my Mother, who used to do this for me all the time.

It was only a blur of a memory though and it was gone as quick as the wind. Rio finally slowed down to a walk as we reached a large mansion that looked... Just like the Jairo Compound in Konoha. My breath caught in my throat as I saw how beautiful the building was.