Kassandra Ch.2

Chapter 2: Congratulations Mate

Kassandra curled up on the white hotel comforter and cried. She did not know why she was crying. She just was.

“Klaus,” She sobbed loudly. “What are you doing? After all these years are you still chasing that stupid dream?” 

Klaus woke with a start. He had seen Kassandra so clearly it was as if he could reach out and brush her tears away. But Kass had been dead for hundreds upon hundreds of years. Why was Klaus dreaming of his love in these horrible modern era? He could not imagine his sister running around in the whore-ish clothes so many women chose these days.

Suppose it wasn’t a dream? What if it was the strange connection Klaus and Kassandra had shared since birth? Impossible, he decided. That would have died along with Kass.

Klaus stood up regally. “I need to hunt.” He muttered to himself. He ran to the closest city. The population was over 160,000. No one would be missed. He shoved his pale hands in his black jeans pocket and slowed to a walk. Across the street was a little girl of about six. She had blonde hair and innocent blue eyes.

Just like Kassandra when she was six.

That gave Klaus an idea.

***

Several hours after Stefan left Mystic Falls he stepped carefully toward Klaus. The Hybrid was standing in the doorway of the house they currently occupied. Klaus shut his eyes and smiled at the feeling of Stefan’s uncertainty.

“We’ve been together for two years now Stefan. Surely you aren’t still wary of me?” Klaus opened his eyes slowly. He motioned for Stefan to follow him inside.

As Stefan stepped over the threshold a wave of horror engulfed him. Laid out on the floor were nine girls ranging from the ages of six to twenty two. They all had blonde-ish brown hair and blue eyes framed by dark, thick eyelashes. They also had full red lips set on an oval shaped face that had once been a pretty peaches and ream color.

Before Klaus had drained them of blood that is.

“They’re all Kassandra at different ages aren’t they? The girls reminded you of your sister.” Stefan wiped at his eyes hoping the bodies would go away.

Klaus moved over beside Stefan. “How do you know about Kassandra?” He moved backing Stefan against a beige wall. Klaus forced himself in the young vampire’s mind. As he probed around he found images of Kassandra leaving the Doppelganger’s house in that awful little town in Virginia. Klaus pulled out and glared at Stefan.

Stefan met Klaus’s glare with one of his own. “I have no clue what your sister is doing in Mystic Falls, but get her away. Especially if she is anything like you.”

Klaus punched Stefan hard in the jaw. “Kassandra is not like me. That is one of the reasons why I love her.” It wasn’t a big lie. Kassandra wasn’t like him, but saying nothing like him was a bit of a stretch.

“We are going back to Mystic Falls. It seems I have unfinished business there.” Klaus announced backing off.

“Kassandra?” Stefan asked brushing off his jacket with a lazy flick of his hand.

“No. None of my creations have survived Stefan and you know why. Now I know why. Elena still lives. That is what causes all of my problems. The Doppelganger.” Klaus smiled at Stefan. “Congratulations Mate. You get to see Elena again.”