Page 7

He tells her the same story he told my nephews and Bilbo, about the battle at the gates of Moria. He tells her about Azog and the fall of her great grandfather and her uncle - Fili and Kili's father, and of her grandfather's disappearance. He tells her about the wanton destruction of our people.

She asks what he had been thinking about before she came upon him. He explains that Moria has long been on his mind, as Erebor had been for me and that he felt now would be a good time to try again to reclaim it, since the goblins were scattered and leaderless.

She hugs him and tells him that if that is what he feels he must do, then he should do it. I watch his ears turn pink at her affection and smile to myself.

~*~*~*~

“But I promised to stay and help you, lass.”

“What if I came with?”

“What?”

She smiled at him. "It would settle things between Dain and myself. He can have whichever he chooses and I will take the other. If he decides to stay in Erebor and be King Under the Mountain, I will be Queen of Moria, and you will be my second. Lord Balin."

He frowned. "It will be dangerous. Would ye consider waiting here while I established things in your name?"

"No. I would not be a good leader if I sat safe at home while my men took all the risks. I am my father's daughter and I have been trying to see the answer to settling things peacefully between Dain and I. This is the first answer I've found that doesn't involve further war amongst ourselves."

Balin pondered for a few moments. "Has anyone taught ye to fight? I wouldn't want to take ye into a dangerous situation when ye couldn't defend yourself."

"Solian taught me a little for self defense, but I am no warrior. I would diligently learn, if that would convince you."

He smiled. "I have no doubt of that. Let us add sparring to your daily education schedule for a few weeks, then we will see what Dain has to say about your idea."