Page 3

I ache to be the one comforting her, telling her who I am, remembering with her the little time I had spent with her. I remember that day. The fear and pain in my chest when I rode up and saw her through the open forge door, struggling to make the metal bend to her will, but she had not been strong enough then -- she was such a little thing at that time. Not the woman she is now.

I remember running up and grabbing the hammer from her hand, then sweeping her away from Solian’s tools and scolding her harshly. She had then begun to cry, much like she was now as she explained that she was trying to support her family. I had carried her in to Brina to treat her blisters and cuts while I spoke to Solian.

A little while later, I had taken Thora back out to the forge and taught her a new way to work the metal, different from how Solian did, so that she could work it properly, without hurting herself or compromising the project. I had helped her to catch up Solian’s work and taught her some forge songs that I had not sung since I had been her size.

Every time that I had visited since then, she would beg me to teach her more, and I had enjoyed lavishing praise on the improvements I saw in her work. I was, am, and always will be so proud of my beautiful girl.

~*~*~*~

“That was your father, my child.” Brina said, softly, embracing both her husband and foster daughter. The sobs renewed and she leaned more heavily into her foster parents’ arms. Now there was a face and memories to fill the space where her father had been only a shadowy figure in her mind and heart. Now there was an actual person to grieve. “And the boy who always picked on you, teased you to distraction--”

“Kili,” she mumbled into Solian’s chest. “I beat him up the last time he untied my apron and pulled my hair. His brother, Fili just watched and laughed.”

“They were your cousins.” Brina explained. “The sons of your father’s sister.”

Thora turned a little to look at Balin. “And my cousins? Were they with him?”

The old dwarf nodded, his expression solemn. “Yes, they were. They fell along side him.”

“She drew a ragged breath. “So that means I am…”

“You are the last of your family line. Your father’s cousin will rule if you do not wish to take your place in the kingdom, but if you are willing to learn the needs of kingdom and court, I would be honored to take you there and teach you, My Queen.” He bowed as he held out the now unwrapped bundle. A jewel encrusted, gold crown caught the sunlight and threw dazzling rainbows everywhere.

Thora was caught between laughter and tears as confusion warred within her, while her hand was drawn forward to touch a ruby with one finger. “I… I… Babba, what do I do?”

“I cannot make this decision for you, lassie. “ Solian smiled sadly and looked down into her face.

“Nor I, Dear.” Brina added. “But we will stand behind you whichever you choose.”

“Master Balin?”

“Yes, Milady?”

“How long to I have? To decide.”

He smiled kindly at her. “I must leave within the week to take your answer to your father’s cousin, but ye should not worry your wee head about it. Ye may take a few days to ask me ask me any questions ye may have before ye make up your mind. Until then,” he rewrapped the crown carefully. I will just continue to hold this for safe keeping.”

She nodded. “Thank you.”

“But this, Milady, is yours no matter what ye choose.“ He offered her a small. box. She hesitantly took it and lifted the hinged lid. “Your father’s ring, bearing the runes of your family line.”

It was too large for her fingers, but Brina reached around and undid the clasp on the chain that hung around the girl’s neck and helped her thread the ring onto the chain before refastening it back into place. “Thank you, Master Balin.”