Page 5

I smile at her quick wit, though I admit that I had hoped for a little more courteousness from Dain. But then again, not so much. On the whole, we are a patriarchal society. Women are treasured, and loved, and protected at all costs, so they rarely fight and even more rarely lead. But Thora is my blood, the most direct descendant of Durin. She will be queen if she wishes it.

I stand behind my cousin and whisper, "Thora is MY treasure and deserves your respect." He jumps as if his chair were filled with stinging insects and rubs his arms at the chill of my presence.

I have not been jovial since my youth, but I have to admit that I am beginning to enjoy haunting folk. I grin to myself and move away to join my daughter at my tomb.

~*~*~*~

Once they left Thorin’s tomb, Balin made sure to introduce Thora to the rest of the dwarves from her father’s company. They took to her like a bunch of doting uncles, except for young Ori, who acted quite smitten and shier than usual in her presence.

She smiled and treated each with respect, asked them questions about what her father was like, what they thought about certain issues facing the kingdom as it was rebuilt.

When Balin told them of the welcome she received from Dain, there was a lot of shouting and pledging to stand behind her against her cousin.

“Wait!” They silenced and looked at the young slip of a woman, standing on a chair to get their attention. “Respect is earned from both sides. Lord Dain did not even know that I existed, so naturally he thought he would be next in line. I will continue to speak to him with the respect due his rank, as I will publicly to each of you, though I consider you friends. I ask that you do the same for me as Balin and my foster parents do. Publicly, I am my rank and societal position, though privately you may call me what you like, except late for supper.”

The dwarf warriors mumbled their agreement to the plan and chuckled at her wit.

“Very good then. We should go and ready ourselves or we shall all be late for supper.” Balin said to shoo them on their way, before escorting Thora to her rooms.

“Thank you, Balin.” She embraced the old man affectionately. He blushed to his ears and muttered around at a loss for words as she entered her rooms so Brina could help her get ready for the feast.