v. per·se·vere

continue in a course of action even in the face of difficulty or with little or no prospect of success.

• • •

Julian awoke the next morning. His arm sprawled across the bed to Mara's side only to be let down that she wasn't there again. The sun was seeping in through the little space between the drawn curtains. Julian picked his head up and read the alarm clock. 8:32. He groaned as he sat up in the bed. He was physically and emotionally drained. The recent stress had taken a tool in his body and he ached everywhere. He felt like he had just gotten done with the hardest workout of his life, when in reality he hadn't been to the gym since the day before the Colts game.

Last night was the first time he fell apart in front of anyone. He hadn't wanted to but he felt vulnerable. Letting his feelings be spoken, made him want Mara back even more. He was going to do everything he could to get Mara to remember him.

He slowly stood from the bed. He felt hungover but he hadn't had a drink in weeks. His heart was heavy and dragging him down. He went into his office. He hadn't used it as an office much, mostly a storage space for all of Mara's things. He searched the shelves until he found the box he was looking for. It was labeled with Mara's delicate handwriting.

Me and Julian ❤️

Julian slowly removed the top of the pink picture box. He randomly pulled out a few of the pictures. The first one was of their first vacation: skiing in Utah. The second was at their college graduation. The third was on their honeymoon in Punta Cana. Julian looked up and smiled, remembering how beautiful Mara looked. The sun made her blonde hair even more golden. The water matched her blue eyes. She danced around the beach, feeling free and fresh. Julian didn't think it was possible to love her more than he did that night, but Mara proved him wrong every single day.

He gently placed the pictures back in the box and put the cover in its spot

He gently placed the pictures back in the box and put the cover in its spot. He tucked the box under his arm, as if it were a football, and carried it with him. He held a tight grip on it, as if it was the last play of the game and Tom was counting on him to score a touchdown.

He made the familiar drive to the hospital. This drive was getting so routine that he could probably have done it with his eyes closed by now. The sun was shining brightly, making for a beautiful Boston day. Julian parked farther away from the hospital, opting to enjoy the weather. He took the elevator up to Mara's floor. He greeted the same receptionist. She never seemed to have a day off. She smiled politely at him as he walked past her station and into Dr. Carey's office.

Julian knocked on the frosted glass door impatiently. The overweight man finally got to the door. "Mr. Edelman, how nice to see you. Please come in," he greeted Julian. He stepped out of the doorway and gestured for Julian to come in. Julian nodded his head once and made his way to the chair that he claimed as his. "What can I do for you?" Dr. Carey asked. He leaned over his desk, putting his weight in his elbows.

"I brought these. I think they will help her," Julian said. He placed the heavy box on the wooden desk. It made a loud noise that neither of them were expecting. Dr. Carey slid the bow towards himself to see what it held. He lifted the lid, and frowned slightly once the contents were revealed to him. "What's the matter?" Julian asked.

"I don't know if this is a good idea, Mr. Edelman," he spoke softly, sifting through all of the photographs.

"Why?" Julian asked. He was determined that Mara see the pictures.

"You see, Mara is in a very confused state right now. Seeing these pictures might scare her. we want to jog her memory, not force it on her.

"But this will work. Trust me, I know her and I know these memories mean something to her. It will work. Please try it," Julian asked. He was begging now.

Dr. Carey sighed heavily. He replaced the cover on the box. "I'll see what I can do, I'm by making any promises though."

Julian smiled st the Doctor. It was such a real and genuine smile, that no one would have guessed the stress he was under right now.

"Julian, since I'm doing a favor for you, I have a few more questions to ask," the man said reaching for his pad of pair he designated for Julian's words. "What would Mrs. Edelman describe as the best day of her life?" He asked quizzically.

"Well I guess I would have to say our wedding day," Julian said nonchalantly. His smile never faltered. Now he was just thinking about how stunning Mara looked on the sunny July day.