viii. il·lu·sion

a thing that is or is likely to be wrongly perceived or interpreted by the senses.

• • •

"You've reached Mara Edelman, sorry I couldn't get to the phone I'm probably busy cheering on my husband! I'll call you back when the game is done! Go Pats!" Mara's cheerful and youthful voice filled the speaker that was placed against Julian's ear. He chuckled but it hurt too.

They landed in Glendale, Arizona an hour ago and were just getting settled into their new homes for the next week. The Super Bowl would be played in exactly 7 days. Julian was rooming with his quarterback. Coach Belichick made them room in numerical order, but even if he didn't the two still would have roomed together.

Julian didn't bother leaving Mara a message. He hung up the phone and threw it onto the bed. He knew she wouldn't answer but he just needed to hear her sweet and optimistic voice.

Tom burst threw the hotel door. "Hey Jules, a few of us are heading down to the lounge if you want to come along," Tom said. He began rummaging through his luggage looking for something. The tall man found his wallet at the bottom of his bag.

"No thanks. I think I'm going to call it a day," Julian said. He sat on the bed farthest from the door, claiming it as his own.

"Oh. Okay, well if you change your mind you know where to find us," Tom said. Julian nodded and Tom walked out, leaving Julian to his own thoughts.

Julian got comfortable in the bed. His head hit the soft pillow and he fell asleep nearly right a way. He was exhausted from everything going on and the flight.

****
"The New England Patriots have won Super Bowl 49!" The announcer blared over he speakers of University of Phoenix Stadium. Blue and red confetti was falling from the sky, like tears of joy coming down from heaven.

Julian stood in awe on the 50 yard line. All of his dreams had finally come true. This was every football players goal: to win the Super Bowl and wear sound the coveted ring that came with it.

He looked around. "Julian!" The familiar voice screamed from behind him. He whipped around to see her in all of her glory. She was running full force at him. Julian spread his arms open to her and she gladly jumped into them. He spun her around and she buried her face into his shoulder, still covered by all of his padding from the game. He put her feet back on the green turf and examined her.

She looked as lovely as ever. Her blonde hair barely curled and hanging half way down her back. Her blue diamond eyes shined brighter than the stadium lights. Her white teeth were flashing Julian a wide smile. Her eyes looked glassy, celebrating Julian's dream coming true.

Julian picked a piece of blue confetti from her hair. The confetti was still falling and the fans were still cheering, but Julian couldn't hear them because all he could see and hear was his wife in front of him.

He pulled her in for a hug tightly. "I'm so proud of you. You've worked so hard for this and I'm so glad I can be here when all of your dreams came true," Mara whispered just loud enough for Julian to hear.

"Thank you for being here. Thank you for remembering me," Julian said as he pulled the thin woman away from his body. Their faces stayed close together and just as Julian was about to close the gap between their lips she was gone.
****

Julian's dream was interrupted by the sound of his phone going off. It wasn't the sound of his alarm though, it was someone calling him.

Julian sat up in his bed quickly. "Hello," he answered, suddenly awake. Nervousness filled his voice, unsure of what would come of this conversation.

"Mr. Edelman," Dr. Carey's burly voice said through the phone. Instantly, Julian's heart began racing. Was something wrong with Mara?

"Is everything okay?" Julian asked. He ran his fingers through his hair, that was longer than normal. Tom heard him talking on the phone and sat up, listening in on the conversation.

"Everything's fine. We had a session with your wife early this morning. We played her a clip from the Colts game," Dr. Carey explained.

"What did she do?" Julian asked in anticipation. Tom wrinkled his eyebrows, unsure of what was being said on the other line.

"She hasn't lost her love for football and seems to remember her love for the Patriots, just not any specific Patriot yet," Dr. Carey continued.

"So what does that mean?" Julian asked confused.

"Her friend, Raven, came by and told her that the Super Bowl is coming up. I know it's a long shot but we have a plan and it just might work," Dr. Carey stated.

"What is it?" Julian asked.

"You told me that Mara was a sports writer when you met her. We are going to accompany her to Arizona, along with Raven, and have her interview you. She remembers her job and anything sports related. If we can get her to correlate them with you, she could remember," Dr. Carey spilled his plan.

"That's awesome! When will she be here?" Julian asked excitedly

"That's awesome! When will she be here?" Julian asked excitedly. He was full of energy and ready to go. Tom raised his eyebrows, dying to know what was happening. He hadn't seen Julian this excited or even happy since the Colts game.

"We will fly her out tomorrow. Mr. Edelman, please don't get your hopes up though, like I said this is a long shot," Dr. Carey warned him.

"I know," Julian assured. He hung up the phone and told Tom what was happening.

"Congrats bud, you finally get to see her again," Tom said clapping him on the shoulder before escaping to the bathroom to et ready for practice.

Julian hadn't seen Mara in over a week. He hadn't gone this long without seeing her in so long. The anticipation of seeing her tomorrow was going to push him over the limit.

Maybe his dream from the night before would become a reality rather than an illusion.

Will the plan work? 😳