ii. be·gin·ning

the point in time or space at which something starts.

• • •

"We start over."

Start over? Julian didn't want to start over. The newlyweds were looking forward to starting a family. They had so many plans. In the offseason they were going to vacation in Greece. They were going to raise a family and find a bigger house. They had finally gotten to a comfortable spot in their lives together. He couldn't stand the thought of starting over.

"We will start her therapy later today. We want to start from the very beginning. What is her full name?" Dr. Carey asked.

"Mara Rose Edelman," Julian said now looking at all of the trinkets on the desk. They were lined up, on the verge of falling. The doctor's desk was cluttered with little toys and knick knacks. The man jotted down the name in black ink.

"Where is she from?" the doctor asked. He wasn't looking at Julian, he was just trying to write down everything Julian said.

"Louisville, Kentucky," Julian said. He looked up finally. His glance went straight to the doctor's receding hairline. The hair was much farther back on his head than Julian's was. Julian's leg shook nervously. He knew Mara like the back of his hand, but was worried he would ask a question Julian didn't know the answer to.

"Siblings?" Doctor Carey asked. Julian hesitated. He wasn't paying close attention to what the doctor was saying. His mind was wandering. "Mr. Edelman? Does she have any siblings?" he repeated. Julian was shaken out of his wandering state. He quickly shook his head no. Mara was an only child. She hates being an only child and that was the reason she wanted a large family.

"How did you and Mrs. Edelman meet?"

****"Hit the showers boys," the muscular football coach yelled

****
"Hit the showers boys," the muscular football coach yelled. He concluded the practice blowing his whistle three short times before the college players trotted off the practice field.

Julian Edelman, the star quarterback for the Kent State Goldenflashes, ran to the bench to grab his helmet before following his teammates to the locker room. The August sun was shining brightly on the filed, nearly blinding anyone that stepped in its presence.

"Julian Edelman?" A sweet, innocent,  unfamiliar voice asked from behind the 5'11 quarterback. He leaned down to pick his helmet off the ground before facing the woman.

"Yes?" He turned facing her. She was gorgeous. Her golden hair was shining in the sun and her blue eyes were glowing brightly. Julian breathed in her smell, it was a mix of fruit and flowers. She was intoxicating. She had a pad of paper in her right hand and a purple pen in her left.

"I'm Mara Abrams. I work for the Kent State Seminal. Do you mind answering a few questions?" The petite girl asked. She twirled the pen in her hands as she awaited an answer. 

"Sure," Julian said. He tucked his helmet under his arm and gently rested it against his hip. Mara looked at her pad of paper to review her questions. She pursed her lips and tapped the pen against them, trying to decide which one to ask first.

"Based on your first few days of practice, what are you looking forward to most this season?" She asked, carefully pronouncing each word.

"I'm looking forward to playing my final season here with the Flashes. There's no where I would rather play," Julian answered. Mara noted every word he said in her pad. Julian watched as she gave each letter special attention, printing them clearly within the lines.

"What are your plans after football is done?" She asked. She looked into his dashing blue eyes that complimented his golden shirt.

"Preparing for the NFL draft," Julian answered coolly. It was always his dream to play in the NFL.

"The NFL?" Mara asked raising a perfectly arched eyebrow.

"Yup. I think I have the work ethic and the determination to make it," Julian smirked. His smile caused Mara to blush, it was a beautiful smile.

"That's great. Thanks. That's all the questions I have for you," Mara said closing the pad of paper and tucking it in her backpack.

"So I let you ask all of your questions. Now I have a question for you," Julian said with a wide smile playing across his scruffy face.

"What is it?" Mara asked with a closed lip smile.

"Will you give me the pleasure of taking you on a date?" Julian asked running his hand through his sweaty hair.

"I think that would be lovely," Mara beamed at him. The way she said lovely, made her even more desirable to Julian. She seemed so delicate and innocent to Him, and that was intriguing. The girl trotted out of the tunnel where Julian's teammates had exited minutes ago. He stood in awe of the woman. He barely knew her but he was infatuated with her. The way her blonde hair bounced up and down as she walked. The slight but sexy swing of her hips. Even the handwriting she used to quickly jot notes. Everything she did seemed better than anyone else.

****
"When can I see her?" Julian asked. His throat stung asking the words. He never thought he would have to ask for permission to see his wife.

"I think it would be best if you wait a while," Dr. Carey stated. "We will keep you informed on the therapy but we will still need your help."

"How long is a while?" Julian asked. His jaw tensed up.

"A week. Maybe two," Dr Carey said. He knew it hurt Julian but it was what Mara needed. And he knew Julian would do anything o get Mara back to normal. Their love for each other was visible and envied by anyone who saw it.

"Two weeks? Are you kidding me?!" Julian asked. His eyes turned glassy again.

"Mr. Edelman you have to understand this will only help Mrs. Edelman in her treatment," Dr. Carey said through apologetic eyes.

I'm going to start updating every Tuesday, so make sure you guys check it out when I get it published. Be sure to follow, vote, and comment!
I ❤️ feedback!