Chapter 9

'Just be yourself', Bethan says. 'They can't let you get the part if you're fake'. I shake my head, but try to do it secretly, so she doesn't see. I don't agree with her logic. Loads of celebrities are fake and they still get the roles.

'You'll be alright', Maddie says as she stops the car and opens her door. 'I bet you'll slam some of the people in there!' Her enthusiasm cheers me up. Bethan's seriousness on the other hand kind of puts me off.

I take a deep breath and get out of the car. The London air feels fresh after the stuffy heat of the car, and my legs stretch after the long, four hour journey. I feel better even though the time is getting closer. Weird.

We all go into the building that apparently hosts the auditions, and are instantly greeted by two people who talk together happily. One, who sounds American, and has a cheesy smile on his face, looks over in my direction.

'Hey', he says, leaving the other guy to stand alone, awkwardly. 'You trying out for the roles?' He's talking to all of us, but keeps looking at me. 'I know I am. Hoping to be Enjolras. You?'

My mouth has gone dry. 'Éponine', I manage to say. He nods.

'Oh, I know! Yeah, hoping you get the part', he is about to turn back to his friend, who is watching us awkwardly, when he looks at me one final time. 'You look like a Éponine', he says. And with that, he's gone and started the conversation with that other guy again.

I turn to the girls, who are standing behind me, and almost squeal. That guy was so handsome! When he was talking to me I tried not to squeak, or make any excited noises, but now he was out of earshot I couldn't stop jumping with happiness, despite my headache.

'Did you see him?' I gasp to the girls. 'He was SO cute!' I look at him again from the corner of my eye and see him weave his hand through his slightly tousled hair. His quiff disappears as he does so.

Maddie looks bored already, and by the way her eyes scan the room, I can tell she's just looking for something to distract her for a few hours, so she doesn't have to put up with random people speaking French, practicing walking, or singing to themselves. She nods, uninterested.

When I look at Bethan, she takes me aback. She's bright red, and isn't looking the way that 'Enjolras' is standing. 'He's cute, isn't he?' I ask her.

She's still extremely red when she mutters her response. 'Yeah', she whispers.

I was hoping she wouldn't say that.