Chapter 7

It's finally the day of the auditions, and I'm not entirely sure how I managed to sleep last night. My eyes feel droopy and sore, even though I've only been awake for a few hours.

Although saying that, it is four o'clock in the morning.

I'm pacing the kitchen, my phone clutched in my hand. I really want to phone Maddie to pick me up already, but at the same time, I don't want to wake her up. She's not someone who wakes up early just to have a conversation over the phone.

I'm already changed (I literally threw on my best jeans, flowery top and converse), and even though I'm in the kitchen, I found I can't eat anything. I'm just so nervous and excited at the same time.

I walk into the living room and sit down on the soft, brown-leather sofa. It's cool, and helps me calm down a bit. I turn on the TV by pressing a button on the remote that was sat next to me, and turn to the news. There's nothing good on, but I don't pay attention anyway. I'm too busy worrying.

Maybe I shouldn't do this. Maybe I'll mess up and look like an idiot. Maybe I'll totally make a fool of myself and break down crying in the middle of the audition? I try not to think of those thoughts, but they force their way into my head anyway.

Finally, having been daydreaming for a few hours, I get up and turn the TV off. I'm so bored. Nothing can help me take the nerves away.

I'm not even there yet.

It's now seven o'clock, and as I catch a glimpse of me in the mirror, I worry again. What if I look too casual? Surely they're not going to let in someone who looks like they're just there for the fun of it. I mean, come on. There's going to be A-list celebrities there! I'll never get a part!

Suddenly the phone rings, and Maddie's voice trails out of it. She asks me if I'm ready to be picked up, but I don't reply with words. Instead, I reply with tears. I'm so scared.