Chapter 6

'So, you're trying out for this...Les Mis thing, right?' George asks, playing with the lid of his coffee cup. He takes the plastic lid off and spins it around in circles on the table with his finger. I nod.

'Yes, hopefully,' I reply. I look away for a moment before blinking at him. 'Do you think I'm going to get it?'

George shrugs, and Maddie laughs. Bethan looks awkward. 'I don't know', he says back, 'I hope you will'. I smile at his comment and look down at the table. There's a long pause before;

'Sara', Bethan says quietly, 'if you don't get the part, don't worry about it. I'm sure you'll get a lot more chances in the future'. She's looking at me, and her seriousness scares me. What if I don't get the part? What if I mess up in someway? I'll look like a total idiot!

Maddie frowns. 'Sara, you are going to get the part', she says matter-of-factly. 'You've just got to believe! Don't listen to Bethan'. She pats Bethan's arm to show no offence.

'I do believe in Sara', Bethan replies, 'but when you think about it, she's not got any acting experience. All I'm saying is that some other professional actors will be trying out for this and may end up getting the role Sara wanted!' She takes a breath and sighs.

George reaches over for my hand and squeezes it. 'How about I come and audition with you?!', he says, his ingenious plan unfolding in his brain. He looks really enthusiastic and makes me perk up a little. 'At least then, we can both look like idiots together!'

I shrug. 'You really want to?' I ask him, and he smiles.

'Why wouldn't I? Moral support, eh?' And with that, I stand up, and wrap my arms around his neck, tears falling down my cheeks. George is my best friend, and I wouldn't change him for the world.