Chapter Eight

Julian's POV

She fell asleep! I let her fall asleep?

"Ashley?" I ask.

"Ashley?" My voice raises, and when she doesn't wake, I yell her name. Her eyes peek open and I sigh with relief.

"Please, Ashley, don't close your eyes..." I look up at the roof and shake my head. A different nurse swooped in and wheeled her away, I watch ahead as a doctor checks her eyes and rushes towards her parents.

"She is going to definitely need stitches, and we are going to take X Rays. This may take a while, are you guys family?" He asks and then I take a step back.

"Honey, we will update you as soon as we get news." I feel the embrace of Ashley's mom and I nod my head. I watch as her and her husband walk down the hallway, following the doctor and I sit in one of the chairs and let the breath I've been holding in fall out. Memories of my mom start to come to my mind and I get chills down my spine, I still don't like hospitals... Why did I have to be so stupid and get involved in those gangs? If I could take it back, I would... I drop my head into my hands and felt a few tears fall from my eyes.

I always ruin everything, Ashley got hurt while I was with her, my mom would be ashamed of me, I sniffled as I feel the gaze of the man next to me.

"Your wife?" He asks.

"N-no, well I just care about her, a lot." The words spill from the mouth before I can stop them, and I surprise myself.

"Oh... Well, she must have hit the ground just the right way to have a broken bone." He speaks, I pull back and shrug my shoulders.

"Yeah, I guess, but she'll be fine." I speak, reassuring myself. It isn't the broken bone that has me worried, it is all the bleeding from her head that gives me anxiety.

"Then why are you crying?" He questions, I pull my head back and feel myself get angry.

"I am not crying."

"Whatever you say man..." The guy chuckles, with a gentle smile on his lips.

"Why don't you just mind your own business." I snap at him and he raises his hand as he other one lays on his cane. The man looked in his sixties, and I feel guilty for yelling at him. He stayed content where he was, as we sat in silence.

"You know, most situations that we go through look very dark on the outside, but deep within', there may be light." He speaks, I look up, taken aback at the man's words.

"I just, I just don't want to talk about it." I speak, and he nods his head and I stand to my feet.

I walk into the bathroom, and rinse my face off with water, I stare at my reflection and run my hand through my hair, looking a the scar on my face. I have to get ahold of myself, Ashley is just one person, normally I wouldn't even have a second thought about anyone but myself. I hear the door swing open and I dry off my hands and leave the bathroom, I go outside of the hospital and take a seat on one of the wooden carved benches.

I can't help but feel like I am changing... Somehow, Ashley and this family makes me not want to be the person who I used to be, I just want to be normal. I wish I could have grown up the way Ashley did, someone who listened, and I wish it was easy for me to openly care for her.

Her.

It is hard for me not to question how I feel for her, she is just so different... And even if I do like her, it doesn't matter. I don't deserve to be with someone who is so fragile, I'll only destroy who she is. I don't even deserve to be here, with a family as bright as them, I don't even deserve to be alive.

💮

I feel a gentle hand on my shoulder and I look up to see Ashley's mom, a small smile on her face.

"How is Ashley?" I question.

"She is going to be just fine. The doctor did say that it was a close one though, if she would have been left out in the rain on her own, she could have lost too much blood from her head." Well, good thing I was there then.

"Okay, when can she come home?"

"Sometimes tomorrow they think. Her father is going to stay here tonight, and I am going back with you." I nod my head, but hesitate.

"You know, you don't need to leave your daughter for me." She hushed me and I wait for her response.

"No, you are my responsibility now, I would have done the same thing if it was anyone else too, Julian." I stare at her gentle smile and she turns and starts to walk out to the car.

We sit in silence for a while, I can't help but feel awkward, but something is comfortable about her mom, and I feel my nerves start to lessen.

"You know Julian, that was very smart what you did back there." She speaks, I watch as we turn the corner.

"Oh..."

"You chose to do the right thing, in a scary situation. I know I would not have been as calm as you were if I had been there." Her words make me feel much better and a small smile comes to my lips.

"Thank you." There was silence once more for a while.

"Julian?"

"Yeah?"

"Have you been crying?" She pulls her gaze from me back to the road and I shrug my shoulders, not really wanting to answer. The truth is, I wasn't just upset over Ashley, it was everything, and I don't even want to begin to explain.

"You know, even though this may not be the most ideal situation for you. If you ever need to talk to anyone, I am here for you. And no one will ever know about what you talk to me about, I promise." I look over and see a small smile on her face. I can't help but admire how strong she seems, it makes me wonder all the things that she has gone through in her life. I mean, having her husband do a job that is dangerous is most likely not easy for her to let happen.

"Thank you, but I really do not feel like talking about it." I speak, as respectfully as I can, my respect for her was too high for me to snap. Something inside of me wants to speak out about the things that had happened, but everything in me tells me it is never a good idea to trust anyone.

"You know, I don't think you would be too bad for my daughter." She smirks, wiggling her thumbs on the steering wheel.

"Really? Me?" Personally I think she must not be thinking straight.

"Yes, you. I am confident that you can protect her, and the way you look at her is just precious." She teases.

"Oh, I do not look at her in anyway." I deny, my face getting hot.

"Oh, yes you do. You don't have to lie to me, Julian. Your secret is safe with me." She smirks, at this point and I watch, and I can't tell if she is messing with me, or she actually thinks I like her daughter.

"I am sorry, but I don't like your daughter. I mean, she is nice, and pretty... And beautiful, and her laugh is..." I stop in my tracks, and rub the back of my neck, letting a small chuckle fall from my lips.

"Yeah... I can see how you don't like her now."

"We are just friends, barely that." I confirm.

"Well, maybe, and this is only a suggestion... Maybe you should try being kind to her for a change. She may even get a soft spot for you in the future."

"Does she now?" I question and there is a pause.

"Hey, is that my place to tell you?"

"No." I laugh.

"Why don't you figure that one out yourself."

"Maybe I will..."

Maybe...

________

A/N

Whoah! I cannot express how grateful I am for the ones who have stuck around for these eight chapters! There is much more to come, sooo please keep on reading while I am posting new, updated versions of each chapter! :) Feel free to leave a comment and if you liked the chapter, I would love it if you would give a vote to show me you liked it! Thanks again for reading, love you guys! :)