Plan

Marcel and I went through more of his clothes. Separating the clothes that were apart of his old and new look. After going through his whole closet, him and I plopped onto his bed exhausted.

"That only took three hours" i sarcastically remark. He laughed a little.

I sat up and faced him, he did the same. I brought out my phone and opened my calender. "So my plan is, by next week on Friday I'm gonna get you a date with Summer. Well not me but you know what I mean."

"Already?" he asks surprised, his eyes wide. I nod, "The sooner the better right?" "I-I guess so." He looks hesitant, why?

"So this week, day by day, you're gonna talk to her more and more. Just get to know her and let her get to know you" I smile. He nervously laughed, "There's not any great information about me."

"Hey" I laid my hand on his shoulder "don't say that, you're a great guy. Summer would be lucky to have someone like you. Any girl would."

"You think so?"

"I know so."

***

"OK let's work on some ways to 'approach' Summer. Do you have anything in common with her?"

"Um, we went to primary school together."

"Perfect! So casually go up to her and talk about primary school. I'm sure she remembers and it'll give her a sense of memory of you."

"You think that'll work?"

"I'm sure of it." "You seem to have all the answers" he lightly laughs. "Not ALL the answers but I'm a girl...which proves that I know what girls like" I reply matter-of-factually.

"Well...what other things should I do?"

"Um, compliment her I guess. Say her hair is nice or her dress is pretty, simple stuff."

"Oh..."

"And help her around the stage and talk to her about her lighting when she performs." I sigh, "I know I'm blabbering but this stuff is important."

"No, it's fine" he laughs.

"It's just..." I took one of his hands in both of mine "I have a really good feeling about this. I wanna help you. And if Summer doesn't turn out to be the girl you want, there will be others and I'll help you with those too...Promise" I said and held out my pinky.

He smiled and wrapped his pinky around mine, "Promise" he repeated.

***

"Your parents, what year did they graduate?" Anne asked.

Anne insisted I stay for lunch and since I didn't have anything better to do, I agreed. These enchiladas are on point! We drifted into the 'family' subject and even though its a touchy subject, I decided to answer her questions to the best of my knowledge.

"Um '89 I think." "Really? I did as well (just guessing she did). What were their names again?" "Liddia and Samuel." "Liddia Masters!?"

I gulped, "Y-yeah, that's her" I force a smile and take another bite of food. "We were close friends. What is she up to these days?"

"I-I wouldn't know" I reply looking down at my plate "I haven't seen her in ten years."

Then the realization kicks in. Wow, ten years since I last seen my mom.

I feel a hand lay on my shoulder and look to see that it was Anne. "I'm sorry for asking, hun." "It's fine. Um, I should really get going." "O-ok, Marcel show her out." "It was nice meeting you, Anne." "The pleasure was mine, Lori."

Marcel and I walk to the door and he opens it for me to leave. "I'm sorry about my mom" he says. "Nothing to apologize for" I force a smile. "Well...I'm sorry about yours." "It's been a long time since I've seen her and I'm over it now" I say looking down, shrugging.

"It doesn't seem like it" he says softly. He tilts my chin up with his hand and wipes my escaped tear with his thumb. "I'm here, if you want to talk about it." I smile, "Thanks, goodbye Marcel." "Bye...and thanks for coming over." "Anytime." I walk outside and to my car to head home.

***

Falling asleep wasn't an option. Stupid brain. I had so many things running through my head.

My sister. The dark. My bedroom. Marcel. The cool temperature. Tomorrow. School. Homework. Marcel. My hair. My aches. My mom. How late it was. Marcel. Projects. Summer. Theater. Anne. Dance. Marcel...