Chapter 42

Chapter 42

Ariana 

After all the agents cleared out of the conference room, Dad and I were escorted out by Jonathan and the director of MI6, Janine Clearwater. She typed on an iPad, muttering to herself as her assistant, a nerdy looking guy named Wyatt, kept a brisk pace to keep up. Wyatt fretted over Mrs. Clearwater, carrying folders and a coffee cup. Mrs. Clearwater's kitten heels clicked over the floors as we boarded an elevator. Suddenly, I heard a familiar voice.

"Where is she?! Where's Ember?!" 

I looked up and saw a furious Joshua standing in the elevator next to an MI6 agent. Dad looked taken aback as he stepped into the elevator. I was taken aback myself. I've never seen Joshua so angry. Fury flared in his gray eyes. His face flashed different emotions fighting to conquer. Disappointment, concern, anger, impatience, anxiousness. I raised an eyebrow. The elevator doors shut with a soft ding and it began to descend. Dad watched Joshua, biting his lip as he tried to think of an answer. I gasped, realization striking. 

"You're dating Ember, aren't you? That's why you're so upset! You're dating her and now that she's gone you're furious!" I blurted, pointing an accusing finger at him.

Joshua whirled around, glaring at me. Uh oh. Bad Move.

"Oh, I've done more that just dated her. Yes, she's my girlfriend. The truth had to come out sooner or later. You never answered my question. Where is she?!" Joshua answered with a bitter tone, turning back to Jonathan.

Dad raised his eyebrows. I clapped a hand over my mouth. Jonathan and Mrs. Clearwater looked the least bit surprised. The other MI6 agent looked just plain confused. 

"Joshua, son, we're trying to find her. Please calm down-"

"No! I refuse to calm down! My girlfriend is out there somewhere, no doubt being tortured by masked men from a group of heartless terrorists!"

Dad placed his hands on Joshua shoulders.

"Do you think I don't know that?! I don't want to see Ember hurt just as much as you! WE're trying, son! Jonathan has the CIA out looking for her. Janine has MI6 looking as well. We're trying our hardest!" Dad raised his voice.

That shut everyone up. Joshua closed his mouth, licking his lower lip. Dad looked annoyed and upset. Ever since Ember's disappearance, Dad has been off. To him, Ember is a family member. A relative. She's done so much for us. I would hate to go back home to find a coffin draped with an American flag and a star on the wall for another fallen agent. That agent being named Ember Rhinehart. Of course, her name couldn't be shared. She'd be just another blank space. The elevator stopped abruptly, the doors opening. Without waiting for another, Joshua stormed out of the elevator. I started to follow him, calling his name, but Dad laid a hand on my shoulder and shook his head.

"Leave him, Aria. He's just upset." Dad said, watching Joshua's retreating form.

I nodded, biting my lower lip. I really hope Ember is all right, wherever she is...