Chapter 25

Chapter 25

Just as I thought. The next day, I saw Trey at the White House. Applying for a job. Kill. Me. Now. President McGallen took one look at my face, raising an eyebrow, question in his gray eyes. He stood up, leaving Trey to fill out paperwork, and walked over to me. I glanced over President McGallen's shoulder at Trey, who was smirking and looking at me.

"Ember, are you okay? You seem tense." he asked me in a low voice.

I brought my eyes to President McGallen's and shook my head. He placed his hands on his hips and nodded.

"Is it something-"

"Trey's my ex-boyfriend," I answered in a voice only President McGallen and I could hear, "we broke up a while ago. He slept with another girl while dating me."

President McGallen nodded, understanding completely. I bit my lower lip and was surprised by how easily I could tell him this. Usually, a topic like my break-up would be awkward to tell an adult. Fortunately, President McGallen has known me for a while. The McGallens are practically my family. Like the uncle and aunt and cousins I never had but always wanted.

"All right. If it really bothers you-"

"No, sir. It's fine. I-I'm over it." I said, my voice breaking.

Damn. I forced a smile but President McGallen didn't look convinced.

"No, you're not. Ember, I don't want you to be uncomfortable in any way, shape, or form. If this really would bother you then I can turn him down." 

I bit my lip, considering. Would it really bother me if Trey worked here? Yes. Would I be able to adapt with it? Possibly. I've worked with people before I haven't necessarily enjoyed working with but we still got the job done. I'm not here to worry about every employee of the White House. Most likely, I won't be near him often. I'll be with the McGallens anyway. 

"Andrew, it's fine. Really. I can adapt." I answered.

President McGallen's eyes swept over my face one last time, a thoughtful look on his face, but he eventually nodded.

"If you insist. But, if anything happens, anything at all, don't hesitate to let me know. Okay?"

I nodded, smiling. 

"Yes, sir. I will."

"Good." 

President McGallen smiled at me and walked back to his desk, reading over Trey's application form again. I know for a fact that he lies a lot on his applications. Unfortunately, he still gets his jobs. On the bright side, he'd never get employed by the CIA. They do a HUGE background check. He'd be kicked out immediately. President McGallen took the papers Trey handed him with a polite smile, read over them, nodding, and placed them back down on his desk. He stood up, holding out his hand.

"Well, Mr. Corotto, everything seems to check out so far. Naturally, we'll have to run a background check on you but other than that, you have the job. Congratulations." 

Trey smiled, with a touch of wickedness, and shook President McGallen's hand. When he sat back down, his eyes wandered over to me. I smiled a sickly sweet smile. He smirked at me. I crossed my arms behind my back, clearing my throat. President McGallen must have seen my slight discomfort because he started talking to Trey about his new job. I tuned them out, listening to the steady chatter over my comms unit, which was hidden by my signature side-swept hair. 

"Kitty Cat, code red. I repeat, code red. There's-"

I didn't hear what else he was saying because, suddenly, the doors to the Oval Office burst open in a shower of splinters of wood. President McGallen and Trey shot up, backing up behind his desk. I sprang into action, pulling out my gun and holding it towards the intruders. About three men, wearing dark clothes and white masks, stepped through the broken door, kicking aside large splinters of wood that got in their way. They were muscular and bulky, machine guns propped on their hips. Even though their faces were covered, I could tell they were smiling venomously. I held my gun steady, my adrenaline running high as I turned on spy and guard mode. One of the men chuckled.