Chapter 30

Chapter 30

The next morning, Joshua didn't show up for breakfast. The McGallens sat around the table, eating freshly cooked omelets and pancakes and whatnot. Ariana kept glancing at me. My mind wouldn't stop reeling. Joshua. Joshua. Joshua. He won't go away! Fortunately, President McGallen was about to make an announcement that would blow my thoughts from Joshua to a whole other dimension. He cleared his throat. The McGallen family minus one turned to look at him. He smiled.

"Kids, your mother and I have a surprise for you." he said in his clear campaign voice.

Even I waited to see what he was going to say. Where are we going? Wherever they go, I go. I've already gone with then on a trip to Aruba. Other than the occasional American tourist who wanted a picture or an autograph, there wasn't any trouble. I didn't have to kill anyone that week. What I did get was the most amazing tan I'd ever had and a week of relaxation when the McGallens let me take some time off.

"What is it, Daddy?" Preston asked, closing his Nintendo DS and placing it on the table next to his plate.

 "Are you all aware of the new prince being born?"

 They nodded. Ariana's eyes were full of a giddy excitement. We're going to England, aren't we?

 "Well, we're going to England! The queen herself invited us to a banquet being held for the new prince!"

 What happened next surprised even me. Ariana jumped out of her seat, squealing, her ponytail bouncing up and down as she ran over to her father and threw her arms around his neck. President McGallen laughed and patted his daughter's arms. Ariana's voice was so high pitched that I could barely understand a word he was saying. Skylar gave his parents a blank stare, but I saw excitement in his eyes. Preston smiled a big toothy smile. I've never been to England before. Garret has been there for joint missions between MI6 and the CIA. He enjoys going there. Addy has been there too, for jointed Project N meetings. MI6 has a program similar to Project N. 

"Oh, Dad! I love you! I love you, I love you, I LOVE YOU!" Ariana screeched, kissing her father's cheek.

President McGallen laughed, hugging his daughter. Margaret beamed with happiness, seeing her family getting along. It was exactly how I expected a real family to be like. I clasped my hands behind my back, meeting President McGallen's gaze as Ariana went to go sit back in her chair, furiously typing on her iPhone, no doubt tweeting about the trip to her ten million followers (I'm not exaggerating. She has ten million followers. She's bragged about it too many times to count.) He motioned for me to come over. I walked over.

"Yes, sir?"

He leaned closer to me ear. I tilted my head to the side. This must be something he doesn't want the rest of them knowing.

"The real reason we're taking this trip is to get out of the country. The CIA confirmed this morning at around five thirty that we're being targeted by a terrorist group. Jonathan is allowing you to go, under one condition."

I furrowed my eyebrows. I knew it was a terrorist group. But why would he let me go under a condition? I'm supposed to go with them either way. It's my assignment. And one that Jonathan can't repeal, might I add. His superiors forbid him to. Don't ask me why. I have high level security clearance but even I don't know that one. 

"What is it?" I asked in a low tone, which wasn't needed much anyway.

Ariana was being so loud that nobody could talk over her if they tried. 

"You have to go join in on a joint mission. MI6 has been having the same strange phenomenon. The count of dark angels is increasing. You'll be joined by two other agents from MI6. In addition to watching my family and I, you will be doing some research for the terrorist group. Jonathan didn't give me many details. He said you'll get all your information once you reach London this afternoon."

"Ok-wait, did you say this afternoon?" I asked.

President McGallen nodded. My eyebrows went sky-high. It's already ten thirty right now! Afternoon is like twelve noon. Only two hours?! Damn.

"Yes. We'll be gone for two weeks. The CIA thought that the earlier we leave, the better. It gives this mysterious network no time to find out our plans. We haven't told anyone outside this room, aside from a few Secret Service men. We leave at twelve thirty."

I nodded.

"How long are we staying?"

"Two weeks. I'm sure you can pack quicker than us all. Ariana is going to be a handful."

I chuckled, nodding and straightening up again. President McGallen gave me one last nod before telling the family the news of the two weeks and that we were leaving this afternoon. My mind whirled and I completely forgot about Joshua or our night last night. Two missions at once? Okay, I'm a good spy but I'm not that good. The only spies who get double missions are...well, nobody. Not unless they're Superman or Wonder Woman. I've never worked with people from MI6 before. That should be an experience. It's official. I'm having mixed feelings about this trip. Great. Freaking great.