Chapter 32

Chapter 32

Just as Jonathan had said, Garret stood on the runway of the small private airport we landed at. Being five hours ahead of us, it was ten thirty at night and the private airport was all lit up. The McGallens stepped off first, no press or paparazzi around to bombard them. Thank God. Next went the Secret Service. Then me. Garret walked over to me, smiling.

"Hello, sweetheart. Did you have a nice flight?" he asked, wrapping an arm around my shoulders and kissing the side of my head.

I shrugged. To be honest, I don't even remember the flight. I slept the whole way. 

"I guess. I slept most of the way here." I answered.

Garret chuckled, shaking his head. 

"Oh, Ember. Your best friends are sleep, food, and lethal weapons, aren't they?"

I laughed, nodding. Yup, that does sound like me. We reached the MI6 agent and the black Cadillac ATS sedan. The MI6 agent smiled at me, holding out his hand for me to shake. I smiled back, shaking it politely.

"Ember, allow me to introduce you to Agent Leland Brand. He's a friend of mine from MI6." he turned to face Leland, "Leland, this is my daughter, Ember Rhinehart. She's part of Project N."

Leland nodded a hello to me. I was slightly taken aback by Garret calling me his daughter. Despite having heard it a million times, I never have gotten used to it. Oh well. 

"It's a pleasure to meet you, my dear." he said in a clear cockney accent.

"It's a pleasure to meet you too, Agent Brand."

With introductions done, we climbed into the black Cadillac. I sat in the back with Garret. Agent Brand sat in the passenger's seat. A chauffeur (who is most likely an MI6 agent himself) complete with white gloves and a tuxedo sat in the driver's seat. By his gray, thinning hair and slightly round belly, I judged his age to be around sixty three. Possibly sixty four. He met my eyes in the rear view mirror and smiled. I smiled back before looking out my window. The chauffeur started the car and soon we were mixed into the busy traffic of London nightlife. 

(I'm sorry these chapters are so short! It's a boring part right now in the book. I promise it's going to get better...soon.)