Chapter 37

Chapter 37

Joshua

I clutched the hunting rifle to my chest as President McGallen took a shot at the targets. Next to me stood the young Prince of Wales, not much older than Preston, and Meredith's little brother. Ariana, Meredith, Mrs. McGallen, and Ember went to go meet One Direction. I smiled inwardly. Poor Ember. She's going to be so bored. If any of those guys decides to hit on my girlfriend (at least, after our interesting morning together, I assume we're boyfriend and girlfriend), there'll be hell to pay. I will personally track them down and it won't be pretty. Shit. I'm already starting to sound like my girlfriend. 

"Joshua? Son?" a voice cut through my train of thought.

I looked up and realized that President McGallen, the Duke of Wales (Meredith and the prince's father), and the shooting range owner were watching me expectantly. Dammit. I shook my head.

"Sorry, Dad. What was that again?" I asked, trying to clear my head of everything Ember.

I have got to stop worrying about her. She's a frickin' CIA agent, for crying out loud! She'll kick any abductor or rapist's ass. Literally.

"It's your turn, lad." said the Duke. 

I nodded, grabbing my rifle and taking President McGallen's place as he stepped aside and lowered his rifle. Aiming the best way I knew how, I took a deep breath. I tried again at clearing my head but, of course, Ember came straight back. The gun and shooting must have been what kept reminding me of her. She would absolutely kill at this. Her aim is impeccable. Naturally, anyone's aim would be that good if they've been training to be a spy from the minute they could walk. Ember never told me the first time she ever shot a gun or even held one. I assume it was a few years ago. How else could you be that good at shooting to hit almost every target right in the middle of the eyes or the heart? I've seen her at the shooting range back home at the White House. She's damn good. 

"Joshua? Any day now would be great." Skylar snapped.

I gritted my teeth to keep back a retort I learned from, yup, Ember. After living with the McGallen's for so long, she has all kinds of witty comebacks in store. Note to self: ask Ember to fill me in on witty retorts. I ignored Skylar, aimed, and fired. The power of the bullet sent me back an inch but it hit the "deer" target right in the head. President McGallen and the Duke clapped. Preston and the prince cheered. Skylar rolled his eyes, flipping his emo bangs out of his face. I gave him a look like Ember would have done. He gave me the finger as I went to stand next to the President and the Duke. The Duke clapped me on the back.

"That was a brilliant shot, lad! Right in the eye!" the Duke said.

"Thank you, sir. That was just luck." I admitted, in awe at hitting it in the eye.

The eye on the "deer" had to be about the size of the bullet, maybe a centimeter larger in diameter. Fuck yeahI propped myself back on the rifle as the Duke stepped forward. Preston and the Prince laughed as the Duke jumped back from a particularly powerful shot. The Duke flashed them a mock glare.

"Belt up, you two. You're next, Andrew!" the Duke said, picking up his rifle and balancing it on his shoulder as he walked back over.

President McGallen started to step forward when his phone beeped. Holding up a finger, he answered the phone call. The Duke cleared his throat.

"Now, Joshua, what's going on between you and Miss Rhinehart?"

Joshua's stomach jumped into his throat. He swallowed nervously, caught off guard. The Duke of Wales knows about Ember and I? Oh dammit. 

"Um, not to be rude, sir, but how the hell did you find out about us?"

The Duke smiled, chuckling. I raised an eyebrow.

"Lad, I've seen the way you look at that girl. It's obvious you love her very much. It's the same way my own son looked at his fiancee when they met."

I nodded slowly, my heart slowing. 

"Oh...all right. Um, everything is going great. We haven't been on an official first date yet but..."

I trailed off. The Duke chuckled again and finished my sentence for me.

"You haven't had the balls to ask out the CIA agent yet?" 

I nodded, shocked. How does he know all this stuff? Is he a spy too...wow, I'm stupid. How could the Duke of Wales ever be a spy? Everyone knows his name and face! Well, almost everyone. 

"Exactly."

The Duke clapped my shoulder again, looking over at Preston and the prince before looking back at me. I feel a lecture coming on...

"Lad, when you ask out a girl as beautiful and talented as Ember, remember one thing. If she truly loves you, she won't give a damn how you ask. Ember has been through hell and back, with her occupation, anything will make her smile. Believe me, fine girls like her only come around once in a century. Grab her while you still have a chance. Who knows, she could very well be the love of your life."

I nodded again, smiling. It made sense. Suddenly, I knew exactly how I was going to ask her and where. Tonight when she returns from whatever she had to do with Ariana and Meredith. 

"Thank you, sir."

"Oh, please, there's no need for 'sir's', my good man. My mates call me Alexander."

I nodded for the third time. President McGallen came back and we started our game again with my new-found confidence.