Chapter 4

Francis practically growled as he watched Arthur dance with Alfred. He glowered in his spot against the wall, quietly sipping his wine. His father had everything set up after his mother had passed. He paid a couple, Levi and Victoria, to kidnap the King-marked Prince of Spades and cover the mark so he was never found so Francis could marry the Queen and claim reign over two countries; the wealthiest and the strongest. Francis knew that Arthur would not want to marry or mate with Alfred, in fear of the younger man's life. Mating with the Queen if you were not the King is against the law in Spades, and the punishment is death. Arthur wouldn't risk Alfred's life by doing that, but Francis wanted Alfred dead as soon as possible. That would be after the wedding or if...

The King of Diamonds smirked. Or if there was an accident. He cackled softly, placing his glass of wine down. With a confident stride, he made his way through the crowd and towards the Queen and - unknowing - King of Spades.

"Your majesty." Francis gave a slight bow as the two pulled apart. "May I have the next dance? This commoner is taking all of your time, and I would like to get to know you better if we are to be wed together someday."

He saw Arthur about to protest, but Alfred smiled. "Go ahead, Arthur. I'd like to check on ma and grab a quick drink." Arthur stared at him before giving a slight nod and hesitantly taking Francis' raised hand.

~

Alfred groaned, standing beside his foster mother. "How long was I dancing with Arth- the Queen?"

Victoria giggled, placing down her glass of wine to pour him one. "Well, quite a while, actually. Perhaps for three or four symphony's." He handed him his glass as she picked up her own. "You and his Majesty are getting along quite well for having known each other for such a short while and only having met three... Four times. This would be the fourth time." Victoria took a sip of her wine before continuing. "I'm glad that you are friends with the Queen, but... Don't you think that it is risky?"

The Farmer boy tilted his head and furrowed his brow. "'Risky'? No. I don't think it's risky until," he took a sip of wine, "until one of us develops feelings for the other."

"Yes..." Victoria's voice lowered as she eyed the boy she raised. She felt her gut twist as she spotted the blush on his cheeks. He's already developed those feelings. "We should head back early so we can reach Revonshire just after midnight. We will rest, then head home to the farm in the morning. Go bid your farewells as I find your father."

Alfred nodded, finishing his wine before going back into the crowd. He relaxed slightly in relief when he saw Arthur heading off alone. He quickened his pace, then gently grabbed Arthur's hand.

Arthur jumped and whipped around to see who it was, then relaxed. "Oh, Alfred." Arthur smiled, wrapping his arms around Alfred's neck. "It's you. I was worried it was that bloody Frog, Francis Bonnefoy."

The taller male chuckled, placing his hands on the small of Arthur's back. "Was he really that bad?" Arthur groaned, dropping his head exasperatedly on Alfred's chest. "I guess he was. Well, I've come to say good-bye. I must head home with my parents."

The Queen frowned and looked up. "Must you? Could you not at least stay the night here in one of my many guest rooms?"

"I'd love to, but," Alfred held Arthur tightly, "I must work on the farm."

"I'll visit soon, then." Arthur's fingertips made their way through Alfred's hair. "I promise I'll visit you in Rosewood and on your farm."

Alfred chuckled, leaning down. "And I'll visit you here in Starshine. Promise." He sealed their promises with a kiss to Arthur's cheek. "I'll see you soon, Arthur."