34

The first thing I note when we sit down is that Jenna is sitting next to Preston.

Happy coincidence? Unhappy coincidence?

Part of revenge plot?

Or did she simply sit by him as he's the only one here she really knows besides me?

Either way, she appears to be back on speaking terms with him. Whether they are false terms or not, I do not know.

She's sat at the very other end of the group. Did she plan that? Didn't want me to intervene? Heaven knows why...

When we sit, we're still holding hands. From the way his male friends smile and nudge at each other, I believe that they notice this.

That's fine. I'm not embarrassed. I am completely used to holding hands with people in public.

It's just that it's usually with Jenna or my friend Caroline and I'm usually drunk.

I refuse to drink one more time on this trip. One, it ain't legal here. Two, it leads to embarrassing events. Or possibly embarrassing-but-somehow-good events. It depends how you look at it.

The cheerleaders come on and do their thing, and it's pretty cool. If I was the one on the very top I'd definitely tumble. No idea how they do it.

By actually being fit and practicing, I suppose.

Good for them. I'm happy with my occasional runs and gym visits.

Four times a month is 100% worth the gym subscription.

Maybe I should cancel that...

"Hey, you want some food? Or drink?" Mitch asks my ear.

I'd like to say that it didn't make me jump, but it did. I'd also like to say that he didn't laugh at me, but, once again, he did.

"Uhm. A coke, please. Or a Pepsi. Something along those lines."

While he's off gathering supplies, I get a good chance to get to know his friends.

Joking. The silence is just awesome.

Maybe I should make an effort.

How do you approach someone who's name you've already forgotten? "Hey, you, blonde one!"?

What would I even talk about? The weather?

Buzz. Phew, a text.

From Jenna.

'I know what I'm doing, don't worry. I can FEEL you judging me.'

I was doing nothing of the sort. I was merely assessing the situation.

Which I don't believe is very good or healthy. And she's probably making a mistake.

'Hope so.' I reply.

Mitch returns - with the biggest cup of coke I've ever seen in my life - a few minutes after the game starts. I didn't notice him sit down until he nudged me - I was getting quite into it.

I learn that Mitch has a friend on one of the teams. The blue one, I think. I don't want to ask since he told me approximately 45 seconds ago.

Either way, it's entertaining, if a bit frightening. Must they be so ROUGH with each other?

If this was English football, there would be penalties all over the place.

But it's not, and apparently it's fine to bash each other around in this game.

It gets to half time, or the break or whatever you call it, and the cheerleaders take the stage. They really are quite impressive.

I wonder if they really do where their cheer outfits during school, or if that only happens on Glee.

There's a big screen thing, and it starts showing people in the crowd. Couples, I notice.

Oh my god, is this Kiss Cam?

Some couples look embarrassed or laugh but they have a peck anyway. No one actually refuses.

It would be SO cool if someone proposed on this now. Then this trip would literally be a movie.

But they don't. Pretty soon, the camera shows two familiar faces.

It's not me and Mitch.

Jenna flushes pink, and Preston starts laughing.

They can't do it, can they? I mean, really?

People clap, and eventually (after not very long at all, actually) Preston pops a quick kiss on Jenna's cheek. That's fine, I guess.

Wouldn't wanna be his girlfriend with the way he's looking at Jenna.

"Well, that was slightly uncomfortable." Mitch states the obvious.

"Tell me about it."

"She okay with him now, or what?"

"Last I checked, no."

"Then what is she doing?"

"Don't ask me. I haven't spoken to her since earlier. I was with you, remember?"

He chuckles.

"As if I'd forget that."

Now Jenna isn't the only one with red cheeks.

"When this is over, Sarah, what do you wanna do?"

Gosh. Bit intense for a football game.

"I don't know. We'll cross that bridge when we come to it."

"I meant after the game."

Oh. Of course.

"Uh, go home?"

"There's a park nearby that's pretty nice."

Another evening in the park? Well, I do have a jacket this time.

"Uh, I guess. For a little bit."

"Cool."

"Cool. Are you bringing everyone else?"

"Wasn't gonna."

"Great."

"Good."

"Looking forward to it."

"Awesome. It's a date."

Mitch smiles to himself, and the second half of the game begins.