Crash

~Paul~

I was still in the backseat, handcuffed and strapped into the seat. This woman, Isabella, would have never had a chance against me if I hadn't assumed she was FBI. You don't resist arrest; especially if you're innocent, so I'd foolishly become her captor. My only comfort was that Elizabeth was safe, far away from this psycho nanny-gone-wild. Isabella's phone chirped loudly, breaking my thoughts. Please, please don't be Elizabeth. The last place I wanted her was looking for me, after all, I didn't care if I died. Not that I'd give up, I had to fight, because Stefan was gone now. I'd made a promise to protect Elizabeth, and I intended to keep it.

"Where is he?" I heard Elizabeth's voice say. She sounded angry, bitter, and utterly terrified. I had a strange sensation come over me, realizing that this might the last time I heard her voice.

"Hello Elizabeth, or should I call you Bella? That is what Javier used to call you, right?" God, that name, Javier, it sounded like profanity coming from Isabella's voice.

"Please," Liz said. "Let Paul go. He had nothing to do with any of it. If you kill him, how are different from Javier?" Isabella's eyes grew wide.

"How dare you," Isabella screamed. "I was just going to kill your little lover, put him out if his misery. But for your unkind words, I will take my time."

I shook my head. Isabella was maybe five foot two. Perhaps she'd killed a lot of people through careful maneuvering and the element of surprise, but I didn't feel terrified by her presence. I was annoyed by the limitations of the cuffs, but I was certain I'd be fine.

I reached back in my pocket, straining my shoulders a bit. Luckily Isabella was distracted by the conversation she was having. Was it still there, and could I reach it?

"Let Paul Go," Liz said. "I'll do anything; I'll let you kill me if I have to."

"Hang up Liz," I shouted. "Right now, hang up and let me go. I will not let her hurt you..." Isabella's stare was menacing as she whipped her head around.

"No trades," Isabella said. "I want you to feel my pain. I have taken away everything you love, just like your little French lover took my sister from me. And you, Beth, did nothing to stop him."

"Why kill all of those women," Elizabeth said. "What did they have to do with it?"

"I never meant to involve Stefan," Isabella said. "I took the job to watch you, study you, and plan my revenge. Stefan made me feel...well, I thought he was different."

"And then he rejected you," I said. "Because you're not Beth, you were just another brown eyed girl standing in."

Isabella nodded, her eyes watering. I almost felt pity for her, almost. I finally reached it, feeling cold blade in my hands, turning it over with my fingers.

"And besides," Isabella said, shaking her tears away. "Faking your own death is a great alibi."

"Please," Liz pleaded. "I know Stefan and I, in a lot of ways, we are the same. We have checkered pasts, we've been selfish. We'd do anything to become happy..."

"Stefan had a checkered past," Isabella said. "I shot him. He is dead."

"I know," Beth said. "But Paul, Paul isn't like us. He is good Isabella, the kind of goodness that you don't see anymore. He is faithful, he loves unconditionally, and he doesn't lie. Isabella, Paul is different, he is innocent. Please..."

"Whatever," Isabella said. "I'm helping the poor bastard. He wanted to spend his life being your dirty little secret, just like I was to Stefan. No one deserves that life..."