separation anxiety

~Paul~

            It had been two weeks since I’d seen Elizabeth. Two weeks in which I had spoken to her on the phone, and spoken to Stefan, but kept my distance. Things had gotten weird since the detective came to their house, but Stefan and Beth were both quiet. I had asked how things were between the two of them, and they had both been evasive.

“We’re talking again,” Stefan had said.

“Stefan and I are being cordial, but things are different now,” Liz had said. I didn’t know what that meant, but it didn’t sound good. So I did what I had to do, I made up an excuse to see Elizabeth. I bought a gift for Jeremy and showed up at her house, trying to look friendly.

            I knocked, feeling my heart in my throat as I waited. If she is going to be your friend, you have to stop feeling anxious when you see her. I also had to stop dreaming about her calling out my name and writhing beneath me. I needed therapy, I suppose. But a little part of me was hoping I’d never have to get over Elizabeth. If she left Stefan, and I waited patiently, I was convinced we could be together. Stefan would be angry, but he’d accept it. He would want someone he trusted as Jeremy’s step dad, and he trusted me. But for now I had to wait and be completely neutral, not pushing her away from or closer to Stefan. She had to make her own choice.

            I heard a male voice behind the door and footsteps approached. Elizabeth opened the door and she smiled as she saw me. I guess that was a good sign. But if Stefan was in rehab, whose voice had I heard?

“Paul,” She said. “What a nice surprise!  What brings you by?”

“I saw these rollerblades, and I thought of Jeremy. I wanted to bring him a gift from Uncle Davis.” It sounded genuine, and not at all rehearsed. Jeremy probably would like the gift.

“How thoughtful,” She said. “Would you like to come in?” I nodded and followed her inside.

            A man sat at the table, dressed in a nicely pressed suit and looking over papers. He was young, probably in his late twenties, and he was tan and good looking. I felt my temperature rise as my imagination made things up. Was he a friend, a lover, a neighbor who she flirted with? I just smiled and waved.

“Hi,” I said. “I am Paul Davis, nice to meet you.” He smiled and extended a hand.

“Hello, I am Jacob,” he said. “And I know who you are.” As soon as he spoke, my fears disappeared. My “gay-dar” went off, and I knew that this guy was not a threat. I didn’t mean to stereotype, but I suddenly noticed exactly how clean cut and well dressed he was. When Jacob looked me up and down, I just smiled, feeling relieved.

            “So where’s Jeremy?” I asked. “I’d love to give him his present.”

“You bought him a present,” Jacob said. “Oh Beth, you are making the right decision.” What did that mean? I looked at her curiously. Beth shook her smacked Jacob and smiled at me, concealing something.