prologue

It was just so cliché, finding a letter from my husband's lover

I stared at the words, handwritten with care, an endeavor most people didn't take the time to do. These days most women just texted, but my husband's mistress was the sentimental type. She had poured so much into every stroke of her pen, and every word was crafted carefully. Stefan found me in their bedroom, reading the letter with tears in my eyes. I threw the pages at him, shouting unintelligible curse words at him.

"It isn't what it seems," he cried. "I flirted with her, but nothing ever happened."

I closed my eyes, because that stung even deeper than the betrayal: his deception. Even now, he was lying to me. Bastard. 

"There is a picture, Stefan! How can you lie to me? How can you stand there and be such a lying bastard? I trusted you, and there is a picture of you kissing our nanny."

               Stefan glanced down at the photo, which featured his lover in lacy lingerie. Damn her to hell for looking so good in such bad lighting. I am sure that Stefan meant to say a hundred different things, but no words came to him. But Stefan didn't beg for forgiveness or explain because something in his brain snapped, and he couldn't control himself.
The most curious of smiles traced his lips, and Stefan let out a small chuckle. He could have begged or apologized, but instead he had that stupid fuckign smile.  I lost all composure, throwing myself at him and hurling my tiny fists into his chest.

"I gave you everything," I screamed. "My youth, my body, and my heart. All I ever asked was for fidelity, you prick."

His smile disappeared, and I stood up, walking out quickly. I didn't want to cry any more, and I didn't want to hear explanations. I wanted out of there, and I wanted to leave now. The door slammed, the sound echoing in my ears. If only I'd known how much would change when I slammed that door, and how that was the moment my marriage ended.