Confrontation

~Paul~

Elizabeth became different person after she heard that knock. She looked down, as if she realizing she was naked for the first time. I glanced through the peephole, confirming my fears. It was Stefan, and this was going to end badly.

"OhmyGod," she said. "I can't see him right now. Not after we almost...oh god. I can't look at him. I can't believe I almost slept with you. And last night? How can I ever look at Stefan again?" 

"He looks you in the eyes all the time," I said, regretting my words instantly. She started crying, and I knew her mind was fragile.

"I will deal with Stefan," I said. "Go take a long, long shower. I will speak with him, and make sure he understands that he needs to be...especial of you right now. I will be gone and you can all to Stefan. You just need to take a minute to yourself." 

"But... Paul, I don't think we can ever..." Stefan knocked on the door. Again.  

"I know," I said. "I support you, no matter what. Go shower." she smiled and went into the bathroom. I pulled my pants on and opened the door.

Stefan wasted no time barging in.  

"Where is Beth, you son of a bitch?" he asked. I rolled my eyes.  

"Are you seriously mad at me? I did exactly what you said you wanted." 

"Yeah, I said it," Stefan said. "I was also drunk last night." He rubbed his temples, clearly hung over.  

"And now you're sober," I said. "And you remembered that you set your wife up on a sex date with me."

"Where is your loyalty," Stefan said. "I've known you since you were six."

"I love her," I said. "There is no other loyalties anymore. Even if she chooses you, when she chooses you, I will be loyal to her."

"How noble of you," he scoffed. Stefan looked at the ripped lingerie on the floor and I saw his imagination go wild. Serves him right, I thought.

"Listen Stefan," I said. "Liz freaked out when you came here. I think she feels guilty about last night and hurt by you, and she's scared to see you. Just promise me, whatever you have to do, make sure she feels better. I'd stay, but some shit went down in my businesses. You knew that though, didn't you?'

"I may have bribed some pertinent individuals," Stefan said.

"Well I have money too, and your wife likes me. So don't fuck up again, or I'll be waiting."

"I really don't need your advice concerning my wife," Stefan said bitterly. "You've served your purpose, and now she'll forget you."

"Just, for once, don't be you. Consider her feelings, and stop trying to manipulate her. I'm partly convinced the only reason she was with me last night, was because she wanted to pass whatever test you were putting her through..."

"And you gladly helped her," Stefan said. "You act high and mighty, but you seduced a very vulnerable woman. Not very nice."

"Just cut out the bullshit," I screamed. "She needs to be taken care of right now, and if she'd let me do it, by God I would. But she wants you, so rise to the occasion."

"I will," Stefan said, softening. "Hey Davis, will we ever be ok again? We've been friends for, forever. I don't want this to be weird..."

"I think our friendship died months ago, when you lied to me about Liz. You knew, and you let me go on and on about loving your wife. It was deceitful, and you were my confidant."

I turned to leave, grabbing my clothes as I turned.

"There has to be a scenario where we can all be happy again," Stefan said. I shrugged my shoulders and grabbed the door.

"Build a time machine, you jackass." I left, worrying that I had abandoned Elizabeth and lost a close friend. I was afraid of losing everything, but I had no regrets. If I could do it over again, I would have gone to Elizabeth's room again and again.

She was worth all of this craziness.