Chapter 11: Help Is On the Way

Hectically Seokjin pulled the doors open.
The medicine shelves were looted and his only hope was the stock section.
He hurried to get all the medical supplies in his backpack and ran outside again. He couldn't risk that his ambulance coach get robbed, there was not much time left for him to get back to the their improvised camp.
He unlocked the car and threw his back next to the driver's seat as he heard a voice.
"No! Please! Doc!"
He turned his head and saw a boy. He carried a lifeless body over his shoulders and looked like he was almost about to collapse.
Seokjin looked around, then he hurried over to him.
There were none of those things behind him, the whole area seemed quiet.
"What happened?" Seokjin asked and pulled the body off of the boy's shoulder. The young male gasped for air and breathed in heavily.
"Ex- ... explosion" he pressed out between heavy panting and Seokjin motioned at him to get into the ambulance coach.
He looked at the lifeless body, a blond young man, and felt for his breathe.
"He is still alive. Get in the car, we must care for him as quickly as possible"
The boy nodded and helped Seokjin to get the young man into the back room of the ambulance. They placed him on a sick bed and hurried to close the doors.
Seokjin locked the doors and started the motor.
"Stay with him. Does he has open wounds?"
"A few. He is still losing blood" the boy breathed out and Seokjin drove on.
The young male was so weak on his legs he almost fell down but Seokjin couldn't care less.
If they would arrive at their camp there will nothing to worry anymore.
"Press something onto his wound. Something clean" Seokjin called into the back of the ambulance as he drove a fast pace.
"There are towels in the drawer under the First Aid Kit"
The boy began to search in the drawers, found the white towels quickly.
"Where are his wounds?"
"Upper arm and blade bone" the boy replied and gently put a towel under the back of the passed out male. He pressed the other one the open, bleeding wound on his upper arm.
"What's your name kid?" Seokjin asked and turned around a corner.
The boy gripped around the sick bed to not fall to the ground.
"I'm Jeon Jungkook. And this is my friend Kim Taehyung. We are trying to get to the borders since almost a week. And we ran through an old hall but it exploded"
Seokjin did not ask him why exactly it exploded because he thought that it must be extremely difficult for him to talk.
"Aright" he just said. "I will bring you and him to our shakedown. It's an improvised camp on our old fire station"
Seokjin could hear Jungkook breathing out in relaxation.
"Don't forget to press the towel onto his wound and-"
Seokjin was cut off.

Jungkook dragged Taehyung away from the producing hall area down the way. He could not effort to lose a minute with looking on the map, he just tried to remember what Jimin has drawn.
His only hope was to get Taehyung into a safe place where he could care for him.
But currently his friend's blood was soaking into his t-shirt, his jacket long forgotten on the area of the burning hall.
He ripped a piece of broken and rusty fence away and quickly got through it, carried Taehyung the best it was possible.
He had his pain and misery to walk with that whole weight, his friend, his backpack and his own one, the weight was killing him.
And it has been merely five minutes.
He saw a big street leading down into a little city centre. He could see shops and cars.
And a bunch of those creatures.
In the worst case he couldn't defend himself without putting Taehyung into danger. He had to choose a way without arousing those thing's attention.
Slowly they were walking near towards the city centre, Jungkook held himself on the little way net to the street, pressed himself onto the walls of the houses. There just had to be a chance to get into an alleyway where they could walk on. There just had to be one.
But they wear nearing the city centre and Jungkook had still seen no chance to escape the big street.
As he passed a little playground he heard the groaning to his right.
There was a woman walking around. Passing the bloody slide and rusty rocking horses.
She was wearing a dirty dress, it must have been yellow once but now it was nearly ripped off.
Jungkook panicked and walked a step back but banged against a car.
The woman noticed him, just as a few other things on the other side of the street.
In his panic he looked around, the woman was already fixing him.
His gaze flew around, there was no way he could run with Taehyung on his shoulders.
The tears shot into his eyes and he quickly crouched down and laid Taehyung onto the ground. He walked a step back again crawled under the car he has bumped against. Taehyung still laying on the sidewalk.
Jungkook was shaking and tried to pull Taehyung under the car as well, but his arms had become weak and Taehyung's weight was too heavy.
He began to cry lightly and desperately pulled at his friend's jacket. He saw the woman's feet, she neared herself.
And then she passed the car.
She did not stop to look at Taehyung.
She did not stop to look under the car.
She did not turn back. She walked on.
Jungkook was fumbling hectically in his backpack for a knife and found it. His fist clenched around it and he looked around. A few of those things were near him and he had no idea what to do know. Taehyung was still laying there, but none of these creatures seemed to be interested in him.
The boy was breathing flatly through his nose, tried to catch a realistic thought right now.
He pulled Taehyung by the collar and slowly pressed his index finger against the pulse vein in his throat.
Jungkook wasn't sure if there was a pulse, he thought there is, but he was not sure if it really was existent or just because he hoped to feel it.
He took his hand away and reached out for something into his backpack. The boy did not found what he was looking for, but his hand grabbed something that felt like a scarf.
The brunette quickly looked down at him, saw the belt he was wearing and looked at Taehyung; his jeans was also held up by a belt.
Jungkook tried to pull Taehyung under the car again and manage to get him beside him.
He removed his own and Taehyung's belt and pulled the scarf out of his backpack. Even if there was not much space to look around he tried to get a glimpse if there was any danger. But those things had already shuffled away, he couldn't even see the woman from the playground.
He pushed Taehyung aside and crawled out under the car. Now he knew everything had to faster. He looked around and heaved his friend over his shoulders. The playground seemed empty, but he still had his fest clenched around the knife.
Jungkook looked around once more; nothing to see. He pulled Taehyung behind the slide so he was not directly visible for those creatures. The boy heaved him like he was doing a piggy-back ride to his friend onto his back. Inconveniently he wrapped the scarf one time around Taehyung's body, than around his thighs and knotted it before his very own belly together.
He wrapped his own belt around Taehyung's wrists, his friend's arms, were hanging loosely around his throat and Jungkook hoped silently that he would not choke himself.
The other belt he wrapped around Taehyung and knotted it around his own chest.
He could already feel the exhaustion dragging him down again, but there was no way he could let his friend stay here.
He looked behind after the slide, glimpsed just shortly if they were safe. He saw the fire ladder of the house next to them, if he was lucky enough they could get onto the balconies and climb from one onto another one.
He just stood up and almost lost his balance as he saw the woman had come back. She was looking at playground and Jungkook pressed himself with Taehyung on his back behind the slide.
Next to him laid a few stones and sticks and he had to act quick-thinking. Jungkook took one of the bigger stones and threw it with all of his strength. His aim had been a lonely car on the other side of the street.
The stone smashed through a window and immediately the car alarm went on.
The woman screamed hoarsely and shuffled over to the alarming car.
As Jungkook was sure she would not notice him again he hurried over to the fire ladder.
He gripped around the steps and had to put all of his strength into lifting him and Taehyung. The crackling of the metal was clearly audible and he had to quicken his pace, otherwise they would have fallen down.
When they reached the first balcony Jungkook slowly reached out for it. He sighed as he felt save ground under his feet.
Right next to his head was a dull doonk and he jumped back, almost losing his balance.
One of those creatures was in the inside of the apartment and had bashed its head against the glass window that was separating them.
He looked into its eyes.
It was a child.
Jungkook stared into its dark red eyes, how it had opened a bloody mouth. Red saliva and mucus smeared against the glass and it was punching with its fists again it.
Jungkook felt it coming and he had to vomit.
This was not the reality anymore.
This was a nightmare.