Chapter 4: Simple Doesn't Equal Easy

"Here they are, Doctor Kim"
"Thanks, Than. You can go now" the doctor answered and took the two USB-keys his assistant was holding.
The younger man bowed quickly and left the doctor's office.
Namjoon lend back in his chair and just wanted to put the key's into his computer as he felt tiny paws on his leg.
He looked under him, his black cat was holding itself on his shins before it jumped onto his lap.
"My, are you finally awake, Diana?"
The cat purred and rolled herself together and took a nap again.
The doctor chuckled and put the key into his computer. The data was loading and as the transfer was finished, Namjoon began to play the videos.
It showed the video from a camera which had filmed a man on a street. He was walking slowly, like he was sleep-walking. The next video showed him hovering over a human body. The man was ripping the dead's throat open, just with his teeth, was eating his flesh.
Namjoon tilted his head.
They last video showed the same man becoming active, beginning to run. A new camera angle showed two boys running away, hiding in an alleyway, the man chasing after them. The last camera angle showed the inside of the alleyway where the two boys fought against the man.
At least one was fighting and the other hung at a balcony.
Namjoon furrowed his brows and took a few notes.
"This is interesting" he mumbled and petted with his other hand the head of his cat.
"He behaves almost as I had predicted it. If my calculations aren't that wrong they're going to evolve in a few days"
He wrote his thoughts down, onto the paper sheet.
His cat was purring.
"He have good luck. The contamination happens as I hoped it would happen. That means" he murmured and breathed through. "It means there are no variations yet. And that's good. If there would be some, it could be a huge danger because the foundation for the antidote could be useless. Just as the contamination evolves, we have to develop our antagonist against the disease. If we are lucky, there will stay one. Another ramification will be problematic for one solution"
Namjoon ended his notes and played the video again.
The cat fell asleep completely.
Namjoon sighed. "But who had said the simplest way will be the easiest?"

"Tae?"
"Mh?"
"My legs hurt"
"Mine too"
Jungkook had his eyes closed, the unfamiliar bed he was laying in gave him a false sense of home.
"Tae?"
"Mh?"
"I'm afraid we won't make it"
Taehyung hesitated. "Yeah ... me too"
The blonde was staring through the semi-dark room onto the ceiling, not able to close his eyes without having bad dreams.
The day had cost all of his strength.

"Catch!"
Taehyung threw the object with all his strength to Jungkook who was jumping over parked cars.
The younger caught the object.
"A fucking Rubix cube?"
"Use it wisely!"
Taehyung ran next to him on the streets, the groaning behind them grew rapidly louder from time to time.
Jungkook held the toy inside his hands, watched his steps and ran over rear windows and hoods.
They younger kept his eyes open, looked for an opportunity to use the object.
Taehyung shouted at him and pointed at another alleyway with a bunch of tin trash cans.
Jungkook got the message and threw the toy with all of his strength against the brass. It clattered loudly and the horde behind them lost their aim. Their attention was drawn to the alleyway, but instead of moving together, a bunch of them ran into the little street while the rest followed them.
"Shit" Taehyung breathed out.

"I'm really out of energy" Jungkook mumbled.
"I'm we just made it up to this thing here"
"Yeah" Taehyung agreed. He had his eyes closed, felt the sleep trying to drag him away and out of his awakeness.

"Left!"
Jungkook jumped from the car and landed next to his friend. He stumbled but caught himself to ran next to him.
"Where are we running?" Jungkook breathed out but Taehyung saved his air and just gesticulated to follow him.
The rest of those creatures weren't behind them anymore, they were able to lose them after they had sidestepped quite a few times.
"Just follow me"
"What is there?"
"A housing complex with yards. There have to be empty apartments" Taehyung explained while running.
Jungkook was still able to hear those awful throaty moaning. He knew it was going to follow him through his worst nightmares.
"Wait, Tae" the younger tried to hold his friend's sleeve, but Taehyung pulled away.
"We don't have time to stop now. They can come every second"
"But what is if there are going to be some of those things in the apartments"
Taehyung breathed through.
"Don't think about it and just run"