Chapter 18

Paysen still carried a raunchy odor, but she looked better. She didn't look so much like death.

"Freaks like you or freaks like the vamps?" Paysen smiled. I stuck my tongue out at her.

"I'm not a freak!" I snapped, but laughed.

"Right." She rolled her eyes. "You're completely normal, Mr. What's-Your-Gender."

"I'm a boy!" I crossed my arms over my chest, where I should have developed like any other girl.

"Alright, Kaydence. Kaydence the boy!" She ruffled my hair. I slapped her hand away. I didn't care that she joked about my gender or name. It didn't get to me like it did with anyone else. But if the others overheard...

"They're freaks like... like fucked up people." I grabbed her arm then pulled her out the back door.

"Gypsies. Kayden, there are gypsies in your backyard."

"No, there are freaks in my backyard."

"I won't argue." She mumbled.

I walked to the picnic table where Molly and Larten sat. Evra, Harkat, and Darren were staring at something that kept moving in the grass, and I wasn't sure where the green-haired one was. His animal hides were starting to hit a nerve with me, anyways.

"Kayde, who the fuck did you bring home?" Molly hissed in my ear. Paysen must have picked up some hearing strength, because she overheard.

"Molly, it's me, Paysen." She grinned. Molly stared at her hard, and I stared down Larten who got Goosebumps from my cold look.

"Paysen!" Molly smiled and went to hug her previous foster child. Larten swung his harm out to block her from touching Paysen.

"Um?" Paysen faked a look of confusion. She knew Larten knew that Paysen wasn't any good.

"Molly I've missed you!"

"Paysen... it's been so long..." She didn't seem real to Molly.

"I should let you two ladies catch up." Larten cleared his throat. He came around and dug his nails into my arm before pulling me away.

"You shit!" Larten growled. "Why did you bring her here!"

"Because she's my old sister. I've missed her, and I wasn't passing up the opportunity after I found her." I wasn't about to tremble under him, even if it felt like I was going to.

"You know her game."

"I might be apart of it." I gave a crooked smirk, then looked at Molly and Paysen. "And you're not going to ruin it."

Larten looked over my shoulder. He'd do anything to make Molly happy. He wasn't going to shoo the girl away.

"You are a dirty little monster." The orange haired vampire spat.

"Thanks." I mumbled.  "You catch on quickly. Not as dumb as I thought." I rolled my eyes.

"Kayden, why would you do this?" Larten sat on the back steps. He seemed not only frustrated, but maybe hurt.

"Cut the fucking act. You don't have feelings. You don't care. If you leave now, I'll stop making everything hell for you."

"Why would we leave? We make it better for Molly than you ever did." Darren came up to us. "Kayden, Kayden, learn to share your humans."

"God, fuck off!" I put my hands on my head. I was collapsing under them. I felt them ganging up on me. I couldn't handle it.

"Kayde!" I felt someone's hands on my shoulders. Paysen's. I fell into her body, and let her protect me.