Chapter 14: Surprise!

"WHAT DO YOU MEAN YOU'RE NOT GOING?!" Opal screamed after my answer to going to get dresses with Lils and her in Hogsmeade. The dance is tomorrow and classes are over.
"I mean that I'm not going. No one will ask me. If you haven't noticed, no one did." I said. Opal already got a date with Lupin. She fancied him since first year, so I allowed her. Sev didn't ask Lils yet. I began to get worried, but Lily'll wait for him.
"Lily's going." Opal said. I rolled my eyes. Potter went down to the Common Room, where we were sitting.
"Yes?" I asked, rather annoyed. He ignored me. I'll take it over the hate any day.
"Lily, would you please go to the dance with me tomorrow night?" he asked Lily. His question was not at all surprising compared to her response.
"Sure. I'll go with you to the dance, James." she said. My eyes widened. WHAT? I saw Opal's reaction, which was similar to mine. Needless to say, he was jumping around the room in happiness, thanking Lily before leaving to his dorm.
"LILY! What was that about?!" I asked her.
"Look, Sev didn't ask me and I doubt anyone else will. I thought James could use a self-esteem booster. He isn't so bad anymore, is he?" she explained.
"I don't see why he needs false hope, but have fun," I said.

"Oh My God, Saph!" Opal exclaimed. "You should sing at the dance. That way, you can go and showcase your talent." I sighed.
"No. As soon as I step on stage, they'll laugh at me." I said, fearing that the most.
"So have the headmaster introduce you and wear a mask. When you finish your last song, you can take it off. Saves you from the trouble of fear." Lily said. I stared at her and stood up from the couch, saying "I'll be right back." Their confused looks followed me out of the Common Room. I went to the headmaster himself to ask if I could sing, with Lily's suggestions. I regretted this decision the moment I made it, but when he replied with agreement, I couldn't back away.

Once I came back to the Common Room, I told Lily and Opal, who squealed with excitement.
~~~~
"Guys, why do I need to wear a dress?" I asked, not seeing the point in shopping. I never liked shopping, anyway. They laughed in my face.
"You have to look good...no, great!" Opal said. I rolled my eyes. We finally got our dresses and shoes after what felt like forever. As soon as we got back to Hogwarts, we set our bags down in our room and went to sit in the Common Room. We were talking and laughing and I almost forgot that the Marauders ever existed. Almost. They ruined it. They came to the Common Room in what were some very tight t-shirts.
"Uh...hi." Lily said, awkwardly. They smirked and said their hellos. I waited for pain that fortunately never came. Lupin and Potter came up to their dates and Pettigrew left to his room. Black just stood there leaning on the wall. I stood up, leaving the dates to themselves and left to the chair, instead of the couch.
Both pairs hit it off. I'm not sure why I wasn't angry at them. Why a bully and a best friend pair was no big deal. I guess with the problem lessened, I'm more open to it.

Black and I were on opposite sides of the room. He was staring at me, as if a pair could be us. I came up to him, unsure of what to say. My breath slowed slightly, feeling my stomach sink in fear and another feeling I couldn't place.

"Look, just because you're leaning against the wall in whatever this is doesn't change anything. You're still the same person that ruins my life. I hope you don't think that all of you and I will be any different after what happened. I know what you're going for, don't deny it. It won't happen." I snapped at him. He smirked at me. He got closer to me, about an inch .
"Are you sure?" he asked in a whisper. His close proximity to him brought all the memories of them bullying me flooding back.
"Definitely sure, Black. Leave me alone." I said, leaving him. It was late and I went to my room to get some sleep.

Next Day
Nervousness washed over me as I thought about the dance today. I had to think positive, thought I'm not sure how people will react finding out it was me. I put on this: polyvore.com/casual_blue/set?id=46736489 and asked Lily and Opal if they'll get breakfast with me.
"We have to get ready, Saph!" Opal screamed. It was around 11:00 in the morning. The dance is at 7:00...in eight hours. "How much time do you actually need?" I asked. Lily laughed.
"We need to get ready. We need to do our hair and makeup and...."
"Alright. I got it. I'll be back after I get some food in me." I said, going down to the Great Hall. As I opened the door, my eyes widened. There were maybe ten girls in the Great Hall. The rest were boys. Some people stared at me as I quickly went to the Slytherin table...for Sev.

"Sev!" I pulled him up from the table and dragged him over to me so I can talk to him. "What's wrong with you?" I slapped his arm.
"Ow! What?" he asked.
"You didn't ask Lily!"
"Oh! I was waiting for the right time." He scratched his head.
"Well, now it's too late!"
"What do you mean?"
"Now she's going with Potter. Because you chickened out."
"WHAT?! She stooped as low as Potter?" he asked in surprise. I nodded, not defending him. "Well, that's too bad. I never wanted to go with that mudblood anyway, I'll just ask Bellatrix Black."

"MUDBLOOD?! Ok, Lily's been your friend forever! And just because you were afraid and she's going with somebody else, she's a MUDBLOOD?! I thought you were better than this, Snape. Forget us ever talking to you." I was enraged. I still wasn't sure whether I'll tell Lily and Opal, but as I walked over to eat, I decided I probably should.
I sat eating my eggs, bacon, and bagel and the guys came up to me.
"So...does freak have a date? Nah. That's impossible. She wouldn't be here if she was." Potter said and they laughed.
"For your information, I am going to the dance. Do you two have dates?" I pointed at Black and Pettigrew. I knew the answer. They were the Marauders. Of course they have dates.
"I'm going with Angel Vare." Black said. Ugh, Angel Vare, almost the equivalent to Black himself. They should go together, I thought, ignoring the pang of jealousy that hit. Why? I don't like him.

Pettigrew blushed and said he isn't going. I turned around and kept eating.

"So....who are you going with, loser?" Black asked. I stood up.
"Guess it'll be a surprise." I said and walked away. I hope I won't screw it all up.