Chapter 1: It Begins

"ARE YOU READY YET, SAPH?!" My mother called after me. Thankfully, the door to my room was closed. My mother, Lana, screams like there's no tomorrow. I am not exaggerating. Still, I was way too busy to care at the moment. This would be my first day at Hogwarts School Witchcraft and Wizardry!! I was anticipating this day for a while now - how I will make new friends, have a home away from home, and learn all about the world of magic. I packed my suitcase...yes...a suitcase. 1, uno, ONE! I may be a girl, but I don't have many accessories, clothes, or anything that girls my age own. That is, except for my one pair of sapphire earrings that my mom gave me for my 8th birthday. I don't have any other earrings, or much of anything actually.

I clambered down the stairs of our two-story home, dragging my (not-so-heavy) suitcase behind me. My mom groaned. "You know I hate it when you do that!" she wagged her finger at me and I laughed. Now pulling the suitcase by its wheels, I walked outside before gasping. Running back inside, I grabbed my favorite jacket and held it up to my face.

"Oh I'm sorry jacket. I'll never leave you like that again." I muttered into my sleeve and fake sniffled. I pulled my suitcase up, not even grunting, and placed it in the trunk of my car. Walking towards the house, yet again, I saw that my mom had put my guitar case against the wall. I picked it up and put it on the backseat, smiling. I wore a blouse and dark jeans today, with plain sneakers completing the look.

'Hogwarts', I thought. I couldn't get the thought out of my mind. I researched everything I could about it. There are four houses - Hufflepuff, Ravenclaw, Gryffindor, and Slytherin. My parents were in Gryffindor, so naturally, I want to be in Gryffindor as well. My dad finally pulled up to the platform. I thought about the card my parents gave me. Platform 9 3/4? Luckily, my parents explained everything to me and how I was supposed to run through the wall. My first thought-'And HOW do I know that I won't break anything in my body?'. Well, I just had to trust them. I said my goodbyes to my parents and hugged them, promising that I'll write to them. Knowing I would miss them, I still expected a great life in Hogwarts.

Finally getting on the train, I looked for an empty compartment. After walking until I got the middle, I found a completely empty one. I smiled to myself. I was about to grab my guitar and start writing a song, a hobby of mine, but a voice interrupted me. A girl asked me "May I sit here? Everywhere else is full." Of course, I let her sit and I introduced myself.

"Hi. I'm Sapphire. Sapphire Evergreen. Nice to meet you."

"Hello. I'm Opal Malle. Nice to meet you as well."

By the looks of it, she was a fashionista, dressed in a baggy sweater, shorts with leggings underneath, and bedazzled high tops.

She then asked me the question every girl asks me.

"Why do you only have one suitcase? I have about 4. Well, two are carry ons and..." she trailed off, probably noticing that I zoned out. Normally, I would answer and listen. But this time, I didn't want to waste my breath. It was Hogwarts and I didn't think that clothes or fashion mattered most. I felt that magic matters. Looks like fashion stumps magic, huh?

"I guess." I said, not knowing what else to reply.

Opal shrugged, taking out some new gadget she had, and said "Whatever," in the most annoyed tone possible.

Now I felt I had to say something. "Excuse me?" I asked. Without a response, Opal left the compartment after turning to glare at me. 'My feelings are mutual.' I thought. When she left, I was about to reach for my guitar. I was interrupted again...by four boys.