Chapter Nineteen

When Kelly had the chance to phone her parents a little while later, to let them know she had arrived safe and sound, it took all her effort to sound cheerful and normal, when she heard her mother’s voice again, suddenly feeling a little homesick.

She decided to omit the finer details about Danny’s mother’s unexpected little surprise for his homecoming, not wanting her parents to be worrying about her, or fretting that she was unhappy already. So she just mentioned the nice things about Janice coming to collect them and how they had fixed up Danny’s old bedroom for them.

When her own mother asked about Danny’s mother, and how she was feeling about having them there, Kelly was glad her mother couldn’t see her face to face or she knew she would be lying when she told her she was pleased to have them there, and her son back home safe and sound.

Thankfully Carol Phillips was in the kitchen, and at least had the decency to let Kelly have the conversation with her parents over the phone in the privacy of the hallway.

Danny had been with Kelly, and had spoken to her parents briefly in the beginning, but then handing the phone to Kelly he told her, he had to do something, and left her to talk with her parents by herself.

Kelly didn’t want to stay too long on the phone though, because she was worried that Carol might complain about running up her bill, though Kelly decided she would offer to give her some money for the phone calls anyway.

It was just nice hearing her parents voices again, even if it was only for fifteen minutes, and she reassured them she was fine, and would phone them again soon.

After saying goodbye to her parents and hanging up Kelly went into the living room in search of Danny, but he wasn’t there, hearing his voice coming from beyond the door where the kitchen was situated, she now gravitated towards that direction, but then stopped before she reached the half open kitchen doorway, as she realised Danny’s tone seemed angry and she caught the words ‘Tricia’ and ‘Ryan’

It made her realise that Danny had probably decided he wasn’t going to let what happen earlier just drop, and was more than likely getting at his mother.

Now Kelly wasn’t sure she wanted to join them in the kitchen, but couldn’t help overhearing what was being said, as their voices were raised, and they were unaware of her presence on the other side of the door.

Carol Phillips was determined to defend her actions, despite her son’s annoyance

“Well I think they had every right to be here, and I don’t see why you are getting angry, with me. I was just trying to do what was right” she spoke up

“And what about everyone else’s feeling?” Danny demanded in irritation, “Tricia didn’t want to be here and you made her feel uncomfortable in front of us, and what about Kelly, do you think she enjoyed having them here as soon as she came through the door? you haven’t even given us a chance to settle in yet”

“Well you only have yourself to blame,” his mother replied stubbornly, “I never wanted you going of and joining the army in the first place, it has changed you for the worse. I mean just look what happened. You come home on leave last year, and you get Tricia pregnant, then just clear off again and don’t seem give a damn about her or your son. Then you go back to that Godforsaken place in Ireland and almost get yourself killed, and little Ryan would never have got the chance to know you or anything, and you don’t know how it affected me.” she sounded a little distressed now, and Kelly felt bad for her, almost understanding her anxiety

But Carol Phillips hadn’t finished speaking yet, and she continued in an indignant tone

“Then just when I thought you were coming home at last safe and sound, to sort out your responsibilities, I discover out of the blue, you have suddenly decided to get married to some girl you met over there, that you have only know a few months. Is she pregnant too, is that why you had to marry her in a rush? You should be thankful I agreed to let you stay under my roof, after the carry on, never mind getting at me like this” she finished a little bitterly