Chapter Ten

"Well, I never thought I would find myself helping you baby sit in an army barracks," Kelly mused as she shrugged of her jacket, and handed it to Danny.

"Yeah, well that's what happens when our Sarge wants one of us to volunteer to baby sit his little nippers, just so he and his wife can celebrate their eight wedding anniversary, and I just happened to draw the short straw." Danny replied a little ruefully, taking her jacket and hurriedly stepping out into the small hallway to hang it up with the other coats.

But as he returned to join her in the living room, of his sergeant's home, he was smiling again,

"Though I can't really complain, the kiddies are in bed sleeping, and I got to have you all to myself tonight for a while," he now slid his arms around her waist, and pulled her closer so he could kiss her.

"Mmm," Kelly replied. letting him kiss her for a moment before pulling away from him a little, looking slightly anxious, "Are you sure your Sarge is okay with me being here with you tonight?"

"Yeah, he doesn't mind, I asked him if I could have a friend along to keep me company, and he was fine with it," he assured her. "C'mon just relax, we got a few hours together, we can cosy up on the sofa and watch telly or listen to music, though I don't reckon much on my sarge's taste in music, are you a big fan of Frank Sinatra ?" Danny then queried wryly.

"Not really," Kelly giggled

"Maybe his wife has better taste," Danny realised thoughtfully, "Never mind that for now. Why don't you just sit down, and I will get us a drink from the kitchen, he made sure to leave me some lager in the fridge" he then said cheerfully

"Great," Kelly replied now sitting a little nervously on the edge of the sofa, still unable to relax completely in her new environment.

She was also realising this was also a new situation as well, where she and Danny where not surrounded by other people, in a public place.

Part of her embraced this chance to have some privacy with him, yet there was that niggling apprehension at the back of her mind which wouldn't go away, not sure what Danny was expecting from her tonight in these more intimate surroundings.

She was glad when Danny returned with the glass of lager, five minutes later, she needed something in her, to help her relax and chill out, silently chastising herself inwardly for being so uptight just because she was alone with him.

She took a gulp from her glass, just as Danny threw himself down on the sofa next to her. Watching her, he looked slightly bemused, "I take it you were thirsty then?" he remarked with a grin.

"A bit," Kelly replied, feeling her cheeks heat up that he had observed her nervousness

She realised she was still sitting on the edge of the sofa, whilst Danny had settled back in it.

His hazel eyes staring at her expectedly as he stretched out his arm, inviting her to sit back and snuggle up with him.

Kelly took another gulp of her lager, before doing so

"It wasn't that she didn't like being close to Danny.

The problem was she found she liked it far too much lately, but she didn't want to spoil tonight with all her hang ups and anxieties about the way their relationship was progressing, and she told herself she should just enjoy it while it lasted. After all that's what they had more or less agreed, after their first date.

"So how many kids does your Sergeant have?" she then enquired with mild interest, just so she could converse with Danny to distract her slight unease.