第1章

"Are you kidding me?!" My uncle screamed, throwing his beer bottle at the wall.

He was watching Duke vs UNC. He was a Duke fan. He was pissed off that Duke lost. I'm not a Duke fan, myself but I was hoping for them to win. Now uncle Idris was going to take his anger out on Chuck and I. I already have a bruised eye and Chuck has a broken arm.

"Fuck! C'mere boy!" Idris said to Chuck.

I knew he was going to get Chuck to go to him. He had this weird obsession with his nephew. That's why Chuck gets it worst. It's like Idris has a crush on him or something. I watched Chuck hesitantly walk over to Idris. He was nervous as fuck. I would be too. There's no telling what Idris is about to do.

"Faster! Stop wasting my time." Idris said.

Chuck stood over Idris.

"Go get me a beer bottle from fridge." He burped loudly.

Chuck rushed out of the room. I can't help but to stare at this man. I fucking hate him. He's an abusive paedophile. Chuck is only seventeen years old. Me? Well I'm nineteen. I can leave whenever I want. I wanted to leave but I can't just leave my little brother with Idris. Only God knows what he'll do to Chuck.

"Fuck you looking at, Brock?" He asked.

I quickly looked away, ignoring the fact that he just called me Brock. Telling him that my name wasn't Brock but Brian wouldn't help. He'd just forget and call me something else.

Chuck came back in the room with a beer bottle in his hand. He handed it to Idris. Just when he pulls away, Idris grabbed Chuck's wrist. I stood up, immediately, ready to protect my little brother. He whispered to Chuck. I can't hear what he says but by the look on Chuck's face, it's bad. When he let Chuck go, he smirks.

I called for my brother to come over and sit next to me. I wanted to ask him what Idris just said but I chose not to. Especially not in front of Idris.

"Come in the room with me." I said as I walked out of the living room. Chuck was behind me. When we got into the room that we shared, I closed the door and locked it.

"You okay?" I asked him.

He nodded and sat down on his bed. Chuck's a mute. He wasn't born as one, it just sort of happend. Three years ago Idris came home super drunk and almost beat Chuck to death. Luckily he didn't kill Chuck, he just injured Chuck's larynx and broke a few bones.

"I'm gonna get us out of here one day, Chuck. Before you're eighteen I promise I'll get us out of here. No more Idris or anything." I smiled thinking about it. A small smile appeared on Chuck's face.

He signed 'no more' with his hands.

"Yeah, no more." I said.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"Debra, I'm clocking out!" I yelled out as I take my apron off. I hung it up on the hanger and took off my gloves.

"Bakery boy." Reece teased.

Reece was my best friend. We had a long friendship, we met one another five years ago but we act like we met each other as kids. He knew all my secrets and I knew his. He's an interesting character. He can laugh all day long but come night time he's so closed off. He's closed off to anything emotional. It's like he hates emotions. All he wants to do is laugh and have a great time.

"Yeah, I'm Bakery boy." I said.

"I don't know why you won't just sell with me. Don pays a good amount of money." He stated.

I rolled my eyes. He sold drugs for some big shot King pin. He wanted me to sell with him but I can't. It's fast money, yeah, but I could get caught and I don't want to risk that. If I'm thrown in jail then Idris will have Chuck all to himself. He'll hurt him and I can't have that.